X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rolyasm
    • Dec 2004

Anyone made anything like these?

I listened to a set of these speakers and they were the best I have ever heard. Of course I haven't heard many high-end speakers. Has anyone ever made this type of design?

I am sure someone in here could build these for a lot less.
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

I can't say I've built this kind of design, but I think the Bohlender Graebener RD75 along with a bass bin would be almost the same thing without the complication of many 2 or so inch drivers and can be built for under 2k.

Comment

• morbo
      • Nov 2004

It could be done pretty easily IMHO, they are using aurasound widerange drivers and woofers from what I can see, and the tweeter looks like the $5 Dayton 3/4" pressfit rear-mounter that John Krutke thinks highly of. Since Monster Cable is behind them, I'm sure the markup is huge, and the fact that the line's focus is 100% on aesthetics leads me to believe that you could probably choose better compromises if one were to DIY one yourself with a bit more focus on the acoustic side of the equation. What KeithM suggests would probably blow them out of the water.

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

I think Jakub is right. Those look like Aura NS3s and NSW1s.

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

lots of hole cutting! makes DIY more of a chore then a fun project.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

What's wrong with hole cutting? Or haven't you seen the braces in the big 3-ways I did? :P

It looks to me like they have 3 panels of the larger drivers on a triangular box, and then a single line of the small "tweeter" drivers. Probably crossed high-ish (but how high? wonder if comb filtering is much of a problem here... :P ) May be almost an omnipolar response as a result.

As such, I don't know that this is exactly a normal path for most designers to take - omnipole designs are far and few between. It's quite DIY-able if you're willing to take the time.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• westrock
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by KeithM
              I can't say I've built this kind of design, but I think the Bohlender Graebener RD75 along with a bass bin would be almost the same thing without the complication of many 2 or so inch drivers and can be built for under 2k.

For slightly less (several hundred) than BG's you could do my Magnepan design

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"