X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Davey
    • Jan 2003

Perfect 8

I'm sure some of you fellas have seen these before...but I hadn't:

Extreme High-End Audio products - The Best Loudspeakers in the World!

I would imagine they're very expensive.

Davey.
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

No frequency response info, no thanks. (Not even a -3dB figure... yeah my speakers play down to 8hz in room also, don't mind that it's at 5dB). Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong business... I should market some of those quantum stabilizers (a steel hockey puck).

In the DIY realm, just how effective is glass as a cabinet?
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by wildfire99
      No frequency response info, no thanks. (Not even a -3dB figure... yeah my speakers play down to 8hz in room also, don't mind that it's at 5dB). Sometimes I think I'm in the wrong business... I should market some of those quantum stabilizers (a steel hockey puck).

In the DIY realm, just how effective is glass as a cabinet?
      Bad cabinet resonance anyone?
      And I highly doubt a perfect speaker won't show frequency responses.

Comment

• thylantyr
        • Nov 2004

funny thread.

the ceo and designer participated in the bizzare thread :twisted:

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

I thought the designer showed incredible patience with the rude and ill-informed bozos-with-an-attitude in that thread. And they do publish measurements. Seas midwoofs, custom long ribbons, integrated subs, glass baffles, what's not to like.... except the price?

Comment

• Davey
            • Jan 2003

Thy/Dennis,

Thanks very much for pointing me to that discussion thread. I hadn't seen it before either.

It appears we have a couple more skeptics here who didn't look closely at the photos and read the descriptions before commenting.
            The speakers definitely have a gawdy appearance which I guess preconceives some folks, but when you look/read closer there are some very interesting aspects to the design. I believe some of these could be applied to some "mission possible" DIY designs also.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

I actually met some guys in Orlando last month who are making glass speaker enclosures. The 2-ways I heard sounded pretty good considering the drivers used were nothing special. I will say I was impressed with their little 10" downfiring sub. I was really surprised at how little the enclosure was vibrating. But the prices they were charging were way out of line, IMHO.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Davey
                The speakers definitely have a gawdy appearance which I guess preconceives some folks.
                Interesting find Davey. I quite like the looks of the sub. If I lived in a modern house I wouldn't mind it stuck in a corner somewhere.
                Attached Files

Comment

• wildfire99
                  • Aug 2005

Thanks for the freq. response, Dennis. I did look for a little while, before giving up. What perturbs me is the visual appearance, for sure. I immediately assume that looks are more important than performance. However the real 'red flag' for me, and the reason I brought up audiophile wackyness, was the "super silent glass" thing. Uh... what's that? I figure it's just plexiglass with some fancy silicone sealant. The whole gestalt of the thing rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention that despite my spending several minutes looking, I couldn't find ANY specs on it at all as to frequency response or how it sounded in a non-objective way. Also the fact that they only display one unit made me think that they haven't actually sold or built any of them, aside from the one prototype. Typically the case for someone trying to 'get lucky', IMO, by selling a single $50,000 system.

Anyway, if this is the real deal, then I'd love to get my hands on some of the special glass... it'd make some nice DIY boxes I bet. I always wanted to build my own aquarium. (That's an interesting idea... if you could seal off the drivers you could make a fish-tank speaker, although that would probably make the Darla scene in Finding Nemo seem polite.)
                  - Patrick
                  "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

They are real glass. Very hard to work with.

I thought they looked familiar. They are the LaGlass speakers, now being built in Sweden by Perfect 8. I think the designer is Swiss. He popped into a thread here a couple years back when his speakers came up.

Comment

• oneoldude
                      • Apr 2005

SL has noticed:

oneoldude :later:
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"