X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonB
    • Oct 2005

IB Subwoofer question

Why are multiple woofers often suggested when using an IB setup? I was under the impression that (and Unibox confirms) the maximum ouput for a driver in a sealed box at any chosen frequency is determined by it's X-max. In other words, a woofer will have the same maximum output at a given frequncey weather it's in a 2 cu ft box, or 2000 cu ft box.

So what am I missing?

Jason
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why are multiple woofers often suggested when using an IB setup?
    Because I get a kickback for every driver sold....

So what am I missing?
    The enclosure (for a small box) functions as an acoustic high-pass filter. That acts to protect the driver from over excursion at lower frequencies. Since an IB has no 'box', it doesn't have the benefit of protection from the acoustic filter. As a result it's low frequency output will continue until the suspension bottoms out.

Since bottoming has a rather negative impact on performance, the recommendation is for multiple drivers... :T

Another reason for recommending multiple drivers is as one might expect, the greater the number of drivers the lower distortion.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by JasonB
      the maximum ouput for a driver in a sealed box at any chosen frequency is determined by it's X-max. In other words, a woofer will have the same maximum output at a given frequncey weather it's in a 2 cu ft box, or 2000 cu ft box.

So what am I missing?
      Right, max output is the same at Xmax, but the power required for the same volume is MUCH less with and IB. And as Thomas mentioned the frequency response is also different.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"