X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Adire DDR dipole with open-backed Neo3

The DDR (dipole done right) consists of a flat baffle with two Extremis drivers and a Neo3-PDR in between and with its rear cup removed.

It also uses passive dipole EQ, hence the midwoofers, which are used up to 1.8 kHz, have two huge steel laminate inductors in series.

I realize the dipole will not build up any significant pressure, but I am still afraid the midwoofers will make the Neo 3 membrane flip around.

Comments?
  • Doug Lockwood
    • Mar 2005

I am currently running a NEO3 with the back cup removed in an open baffle.
    I haven't detected any issues, and the highs sound effortless.
    My goal is to run distortion measurements on the drivers and do a proper XO in Soundeasy.

Doug

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by capslock
      The DDR (dipole done right) consists of a flat baffle with two Extremis drivers and a Neo3-PDR in between and with its rear cup removed.

It also uses passive dipole EQ, hence the midwoofers, which are used up to 1.8 kHz, have two huge steel laminate inductors in series.

I realize the dipole will not build up any significant pressure, but I am still afraid the midwoofers will make the Neo 3 membrane flip around.

Comments?
      Hello Eric,

You've hit on something which I have been investigating for a while- the combination of dipole woofers and midrange or tweeter drivers on the same baffle. Near field investigations will show some substantial SPL from the woofers at locations like a planar mid/tweeter when on a common baffle. I think there is some potential for IM distortion affects across the crossover boundary, if this type of baffle design is used.

There are a few possible solutions- one, don't run sensitive HF drivers in dipole mode- then they won't be subject to front and rear differential pressure. They'll still be subject to the front, though, with the resistance of diaphram compliance and rear chamber compliance. Does this make a difference still?

There are other baffle approaches which may remedy this, but is the cure worse than the original problem? I'm still investigating. However, this work will have a clear influence on the Saint-Saens design, and may cause a revisit to the Arvo also. Depends on how nitpicky I want to be, I guess.

As an experiment, run some tone sweeps through the midwoofers, and look at the output of the tweeter terminated into an 8 ohm load. (i.e., like a microphone.) The voltages will be small, but then 1/100 is only -40dB.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• capslock
        • Dec 2004

One of my stalled designs (Phoenix like, with 2x CSC217 and 1x Neo3) adressed this. It used 45° side wings, and below and above the tweeter, I had a 6 cm deep separating wall, and also a recess that would have allowed me to but a rear wall on the tweeter chamber. However, I was worried that this 1/2 litre chamber would still be too compliant.

Seeing the DDR design made me wonder some more. Maybe Danny's cupped Neo / GR130 open baffle design is a more sound approach.

I still have those baffles (waiting to be repainted after moving), so I can do the test you propose.

Other solutions to the problem would be:

2. leaving large holes in the baffle near the tweeter

3. mounting the tweeter on the mid/woofer cone

Somehow, neither seems too attractive

Comment

• Davey
          • Jan 2003

My curiosity was peaked looking at the low-pass network of the DDR so I simulated in LspCAD:

It's easy to see why the system sensitivity becomes so low when you create dipole correction with a passive speaker-level filter. Also of note is the 1600Hz peak in the electrical response.
          I think I would have designed the speaker-level filter sans dipole EQ and then added this either passively or actively at line-level.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• mikec
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Davey
            I think I would have designed the speaker-level filter sans dipole EQ and then added this either passively or actively at line-level
            They sure did accept some interesting compromises in their design.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"