Preferred relay for switching audio sources?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taito
    • Sep 2004

Preferred relay for switching audio sources?

Hi, I'm working on the design of a preamplifier at the moment and would like to know if anyone has found some really good relays for switching audio sources, or has come up with a better way to do it -at this stage, the plan is to incorporate some form of microprocessor control (which I'm pretty sure will require the use of relays).

I've read that mercury-wetted relays are a really good option, but am finding it difficult to locate any.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ben
  • ralphs99
    • Jul 2005

Hi Ben,

Reed relays are generally very good for line level use. They are fully sealed so aren't susceptible to contact corrosion. They have higher contact resitance than other types but that doesn't matter in a high impedance circuit. Mercury wetted types have lower contact resistance and less contact bounce. But the industry is phasing out toxic materials so mercury wetted types will be harder to find.
    Any standard relay with gold contacts will also work well. Gold contacts are important for circuits that pass no current. Other contact materials rely on the arc formed by opening and closing to burn off oxides and contaminants.
    Try Jaycar, Altronics, Farnell, RS for local supply.

Cheers,
    Ralph
    Aeronet research pages
    Acoustic, Electronic & Speaker Design

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"