X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpb6061
    • Feb 2005

Tweeter Question...

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't search out an answer in the archives.

What effect does the phase plug have on a tweeter such as the Focal TC 120 TD5 (or the TC 120 TDX 2, of which I have a pair)?

I note that Wilson takes them off, Thorsten took them off in his Watt/Puppy Klone project as well.

I'm doing my own version of the same and was wondering!

If they ought to come off.... How do they?

JB
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Strictly speaking, Wilson buys them without the phase plug. I take them off, too. Hard phase plugs "improve" the off axis dispersion, but they also create some resonance and energy storage. I prefer TC120dx2 without. Side cutters work fine...

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dlr
      • Feb 2005

Phase plug resonances? I don't see it.

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      Hard phase plugs "improve" the off axis dispersion, but they also create some resonance and energy storage.
      ~Jon
      How so? Phase plugs improve the on- and off-axis from what I've seen. They also eliminate the air cavity beneath the cone, normally vented through the pole piece, that is itself a resonant space. I don't see how the phase plug can in any way create resonances. To what do you attribute resonances?

Also, if you cut off a phase plug, you've taken away some of the heat dissipation of the driver.

dlr
      Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
        • Sep 2005

Different Thang

Dear dlr,

Please consider the carefully crafted design of a TC120xxxxx, before barging in. This "phase plug" is a diffuser type of construction *in front* of a concave dome, so your concerns are way out of line.

Cheers,
        Gerald

Comment

• dlr
          • Feb 2005

oops

Originally posted by Gerald Jansen
          Dear dlr,

Please consider the carefully crafted design of a TC120xxxxx, before barging in. This "phase plug" is a diffuser type of construction *in front* of a concave dome, so your concerns are way out of line.

Cheers,
          Gerald
          I wasn't thinking of phase "shield" as I've always referred to it. You're right, it doesn't apply to the tweeter variety.

dlr
          Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by dlr
            I wasn't thinking of phase "shield" as I've always referred to it.
            dlr
            Good to see you back. I did not intend to scare you away. I'm curious why you use the term "phase shield" for a phase plug (and vented pole piece)? Is it a translation from another language?

Hard phase plugs "improve" the off axis dispersion, but they also create some resonance and energy storage.
            Do you have an idea weather the resonance and energy storage are caused by it's acoustic design, or by the non-rigid fragile construction of the diffuser (leading to secondary radiation)?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Good to see you back. I did not intend to scare you away. I'm curious why you use the term "phase shield" for a phase plug (and vented pole piece)? Is it a translation from another language?
              One would imagine that Dave's use of the term, and the subsequent confusion, was a function of the previous posts in the thread referring to a "phase plug" instead of a "diffuser".

And I'm reasonably sure that Dave's been around long enough that one discourteous comment won't scare him away.... :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Which reminds me, I really want to try Dave's tweak of the RS28. But I really don't want to take things apart. :P

C
                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

I don't like taking tweeters apart unless I've got some testing means to verify the distortion and "tune" the centering when putting it back together.

DLR"s "phase sheild" is a "soft" one, not a "hard" one (careful about typos there), and is probablyl the best solution if one wants some of the dispersion improvement without the drawbacks of a hard diffuser.

JUST my 0.02.

BTW, phase shields vary considerably in design and construction, and the ones I really get worked up about are those used by Vifa and in the past by MB Quart- they have a really nasty signature, IMO, and are what got me worked up about them originally.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
                    • Sep 2005

I'm curious why you use the term "phase shield" for a phase plug (and vented pole piece)?
                    Ok, I found the answer at your website (www.speakerdesign.net) in article on the Dayton tweeter modification. Very Interesting.

Comment

• dlr
                      • Feb 2005

My brain had momentarily stopped working

BTW, phase shields vary considerably in design and construction, and the ones I really get worked up about are those used by Vifa and in the past by MB Quart- they have a really nasty signature, IMO, and are what got me worked up about them originally.

~Jon
                      I haven't heard many hard-dome tweeter systems, so I've not built up a preference for or against as some have. Many folks have voiced the same sentiment as you, though, as I'm sure you know.

When I read your post I saw "plug" andI immediately forgot that the subject was tweeters. My brain slipped a gear and went into woofer mode.

But I do still find your comment interesting. In my limited work with a phase shielded tweeter (the RS28), I found that the phase shield improved the on-axis response and the off-axis a bit. I think, though, that the influence of the shield is very dependent on the dome and shield geometry. A lot of manufacturer graphs of their hard-dome tweeters do show really bad off-axis results even with a shield.

The RS28 has some of the best off-axis response of any tweeter I've tested, insofar as smoothness is concerned. Take off that shield and the on-axis response above 10K suffers badly due to phase.

dlr
                      Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• dlr
                        • Feb 2005

Terms

Do you have an idea weather the resonance and energy storage are caused by it's acoustic design, or by the non-rigid fragile construction of the diffuser (leading to secondary radiation)?
                        I've always seen the description as phase shield. It's drawn from the fact that it blocks, or "shields", the listener from the output at the center of the driver. This is done because a hard-dome tweeter does not have any inherent internal damping in the dome and the speed of sound is much faster in a hard material. The result is that the signal is emitted from all points on the dome at nearly the same time. At high frequencies the wavelength is short, to very small time delays cause interference between the output at the former attachment point on the rim and the output from the tip of the dome, hence the droop one sees if there is not shield.

The resonance is simply due to the fact that there is an air cavity between the shield and the dome. The blocked signal is reflected back to the dome which itself then reflects the reflection. This sets up a resonance determined by the gap distance.

My tweek of the RS28 was an attempt to dissipate this energy rather than reflect it.

I suppose that there could also be some resonance in the structure itself, I hadn't considered that possiblity. But since most are fairly secure, I suspect it's minimal. Certanily one such as the RS28 won't suffer from this, the shield being attached to the rear of the mesh cover.

dlr
                        Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• dlr
                          • Feb 2005

It's one of the easier ones

Originally posted by cjd
                          Which reminds me, I really want to try Dave's tweak of the RS28. But I really don't want to take things apart. :P

C
                          The nice thing about this tweek is the ease and reversibility. The RS 28 has a cover over the diaphragm assembly that includes the mesh grill. The sensitive part (diaphragm assembly) does not need to be moved. As long as you're careful in separating the cover (it tends to stick), it should leave the rest unscathed.

As tweaks go, though, this one is on the minor side, IMO.

dlr
                          Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"