X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SammyXP
    • Oct 2005

Ineffective shielding?

I bought a center channel kit on Ebay that contained two Boston Acoustics Shielded 4" woofers.

Description
    They were pretty cheap, but the crossover alone seemed worth it so I went for it. Finished a 0.5 ch ft enclosure last night and gave it a listen. Sounds pretty good overall. Would like some stronger midrange to keep up with the great highs from that tweeter.

My main problem is that I am getting significant distortion on the CRT screen unless I keep the speakers a good 4"-6" away from the screen. These are supposed to be shielded, so I'm kind of disappointed. Before I go replacing the speakers with some others (kind of interested in these Goldwoods's at Parts Express), has anyone had any experience with ferrous shielding? I have access to a good bit of scrap steel, so I might try placing a few sheets between the box and the TV.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

When we built Tibor's center channel (MTM with unshielded M8a midwoofers), we used bucking magnets and shielded the cab with layers of 16 gauge sheet metal. It was a sandwich, MDF-steel-MDF-steel.

His direct view CRT sits on top of this speaker. There is no interference

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SammyXP
      • Oct 2005

Thanks for the suggestion, Thomas. You're just on the ball with my questions, lately! I'll try a few layers of steel inside and underneath the box and see how it works.

Comment

• cdwitmer
        • Sep 2004

I have a pair of "shielded" Pioneer loudspeakers that cause CRT interference; since the enclosures are finished I used steel sheets placed in between the loudspeakers and the CRT, and that solved the problem. The amount of steel required will vary according to the particular circumstances, but it will do the trick.

Comment

• SammyXP
          • Oct 2005

That did the trick. Got a few sheets of scrap galvanized sheet and layered them with some scrap ply. Image is distortion free now. Now to come up with a creative way to hide the layers of steel and wood in between the speaker and TV.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Contact paper or the vinyl woodgrain veneer from PE?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"