X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmonk
    • Nov 2005

Speakers I want to build

Hello.

I posted a similar quesion on the Parts Express Forum, and got some more ideas, but i thought i would post here also to try and get a better grasp of my options.

I have a large room (20 x 26 with 18' Cathedral Cielings).

I have a 57" HDTV, and a Yamaha RX-V1500 Reciever.

I recently (last week) finished a subwoofer cabinet for a 15" Titanic Sub ported, with the 500 watt BASH amplifier.

I have Sonance Symphony series 3-way inwall speakers for my side and rear surrounds.

My system is used for about 70% home theater and 30% music.

Ok.. Thats what i have.

I would like to build new mains and a center channel.

I would like the Mains to be in a tower configuration (or i guess they could be on stands) so that they will be close to the height of the center channel on top of the TV.

I have been looking at the Natalie P's and EROS designs, but would appreciate any input you guys might have.

I have also been told about the WMTW that has been thrown around on this forum which might got VERY well with the Nataile P's

Ok.. Ive said more than enough to bore most of you.

I am open to and and all suggestions..

Thanks for your time and patience with me, as i am new to the DIY scene!

John
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

BIG room..... I'd go with the Modual MTM sitting on a bass bin with a pair of 10" or 12" woofers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

With a room that size, bookshelfs are almost out of the question. I'd try one of the designs on this forum. Check out the Dayton RS 3-way.

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

For the cost of the Eros you could build the M8 MTMs. I built the Eros, the M8 MTMs and the Modula MTMs and the M8s are hands down the best sounding.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

The Arvo's are the M8-MTM with a pair of 12" woofers all operating in dipole mode. They play quite loud and are one of our finest designs. They aren't shielded, so we need to know if that's a consideration.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cinema bob
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            BIG room..... I'd go with the Modual MTM sitting on a bass bin with a pair of 10" or 12" woofers
            this is what i'd go with if it was me. but I'm enamored with wilson audio style speakers so go figure. if you want i could e-mail some links and plans I've got. a pair of jm lab utopia klones would be pretty cool too.

Comment

• johnmonk
              • Nov 2005

Shielding should not be an issue, well.. atleast i think, the speakers are at minimum 4 feet from the tv (the cabinet around the TV dicatates this..).

I have not seen the Arvo design. Sounds interesting though

John

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Here's a link to the Arvo project

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• johnmonk
                  • Nov 2005

Wow... Those are VERY nice. How are yours coming Thomas? The only problem i see is, now that i think about it, shielding could become an issue on the center channel, since it sits on top of the TV..

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Construction has be interrupted due to a death in the family.

The prototypes have been fully operational for 18 months so no pressure on me get the finshed design running, well no pressure other than people wanting to see a finished design..... :wink:

There are a ton of big magnets in the Arvo, so a center near a CRT is a no go. Maybe it's time to buy that new plasma .... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• johnmonk
                      • Nov 2005

Im sorry to hear that.

Wow.. 18 months! Well Geesh.. I am VERY happy with my TV.. hmm..

What are your thoughts on the Dayton RS 3-Way?

I would think a similar design for a center could be worked up (assuming the drivers are available in a shielded design)

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

The Dayton RS drivers are shielded - you'd need to substitute the sheilded version of the tweeter. For a center channel, David Robert's project is representative of what could be done. Three different crossover designs posted you can choose from!

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                        Obi-Wan
                        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dotay
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                          The Dayton RS drivers are shielded - you'd need to substitute the sheilded version of the tweeter. For a center channel, David Robert's project is representative of what could be done. Three different crossover designs posted you can choose from!

~Jon
                          Is this David Robert's project that is posted on this board?

Let's assume that I want to make the Natalie P speakers in a tower configuration. Would you recommend the Modula center channel or one of the designs dawaro posted? How would they compare cost wise?

Comment

• johnmonk
                            • Nov 2005

Ok Jon... Too many choices!! Can i get this from ya?

Which crossover design would you recommend? I saw all 3, and geesh. Its tough.

Given all my info.. what do you think?

Any info you can give will help.. Like i have previosly said, I am kinda new to the DIY scene, but i looking at the 3-way design and the center, I think i could do it with no problems.

John

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"