X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_Rob
    • Mar 2005

New DIY project

Well, ive posted here before on DIY ideas. Never got around to doing them with school on the go and funds being short lol.

BUT, i now can finnally start Project #1. School is paid off, and i just aquired a good sum of money lol.

Heres what ive got so far. An old Sansui Solid state stereo amplifier, 65x2 watts. less then 0.09% distortion. i think thats good, ive been told so anyways.

Anyways, Im looking for a fairly Cheap ( 200$ CDN max ) project to get me started. I want something really HI-FI for the $$ doesnt need to be overly loud, as I got a pair of Vegas for when i really wanna rock lol.. I know thats about all their good at.. being loud, but they deffinatly do that well .

Ive been thinking a full range project, Possible the CSS Fr125s, maybe in the PAWO cabinets i seen made the by the Tom fellow who makes the Zhorns. Or the CSS kit41's. Ive also looked at John's Silver Flute 5.25" 2 ways.

Anyone have any good sudgestions ? Im really itching to get something started here.. just not sure what to choose.

I just want something that will play comfortably at a moderate volume, and sound fantastic doing it. With low bass extension, that doesnt need to boom loud, just sound nice. Theyll mostly be playing acoustic music, like dave matthews and whatnot so.. hopefully ill get some good sudgestions. thanks guys
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Audio_Rob
    Theyll mostly be playing acoustic music, like dave matthews
    oh my, what a sentence full of oxy morons. :P

I don't have any brainstorms of stuff that fits the hi-fi and under $200CAD at the moment. Though if all you're throwing at it is Dave Matthews, that's one heck of a lot easier to manage than Mahler.

RS150/Seas tweeter TM might fit the bill. My MTM's I did for ~$120USD each including the box. . .

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dan B
      • Feb 2005

More Pee ?

Wayne J's "More-Pees" are about 200 in electronics. Not alot of bass, but I'm satisfied you'd need a little more for MDF, glue, etc...

I'm building my second pair.
      Dan B
      Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

The ModulaMT with Seas tweeters is only slightly more than your budget, plus you can buy cheaper crossover components.

Comment

• Dan B
          • Feb 2005

Modula MT

Yep, I'd go with the Modula MT. :T

I built the one with the Dayton tweeter and spent $300.00. I used Dayton crossover parts to keep the price down. I think you'd save 60 bucks with the Seas tweet, but would have another shipping charge.

Dan B

My Projects

Comment

• Mudjock
            • Sep 2005

I have a crossover design for the RS150/Seas 27TBFCG that should meet your budget requirements (drivers + crossover for around $150 US). It was well-enough received at Chicago Audiofest that I am confident in recommending it.
            Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out...

https://sites.google.com/view/sehlin...solutions/home

Comment

• GrahamT
              • Oct 2004

I think some of you are forgetting the $200 CAD budget. That doesn't go far. Drivers here are typically harder to get, and more expensive.

A friend of mine here in Canada ordered a couple of RS drivers from PE and he told me he got killed on the shipping. I dont know how much, but he wasn't happy about it. If he sees this maybe he can commnet. So the RS based designs may be out of the budget. The Seas tweeters will be about $90 for the pair so that is almost half right there.

If you are really strict on the $200 CAD budget I dont think you can do much better than the CSS KIT41 or the FR125. I've only heard the WR125s alone but I really like it. There are some cheap Vifa designs out there too.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"