X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

My Busy Summer Project-Thanks TW!

07-11-05 Scroll down to see my post for x-over problem...thanks.
    08-11-05 Thanks for the reply,parts on order. :T
    17-11-05 Fixed inductor problem!
    02-03-08 I have a question; last post below...
    Hi All,

Well I finally finished my Audax Ht (except for surrounds) I decided to go with these as the price was fair for my "first" DIY project and Audax still has parts available. I have yet to build the surrounds(three) as I have the parts but the weather is getting colder for the unheated garage!
    I had on planned on using two 62l sealed shivas as "speaker stands" but my wife nixed that idea quickly when I brought them into the family room.(14'x18')
    Anyways,I am extremely happy with them;very "clear" compared to my ol' Athenas AS-B2s. They don't exactly have enough bass punch but as ThomasW said," what do you expect for 3mm xmax!"
    Here are some links to them:
    set up shot
    center channel
    main
    62l sub
    set up close up shot
    Last edited by DeanP; 02 March 2008, 19:33 Sunday. Reason: date update for further post
  • GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

Wow. They look great. Nice work Dean!

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

I wish I had wordworking skills that good.

Comment

• DeanP
        • May 2004

Thanks for the nice comments :T ...I usually build furniture, so these boxes were pretty easy comparably. It is getting them square that is the hard part as I just have a bench type tablesaw that only cuts to 12" wide.

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Wow nicely build, which Audax woofers have you used?

Comment

• DeanP
            • May 2004

The woofer is the AP170Z0 and the center channel also adds the AP130Z0 with TM025F1 for tweeters all around.

Comment

• DeanP
              • May 2004

Help!

I was looking at the Modula MTM's x-over and was comparing it to my Audax main's x-over and I noticed that the first inductor (for the woofers)was larger compared to mine from the Solen site here. 8O
              Then I brought up a PDF file I also have of the x-over and found that Solen seems to have put the wrong value in! They have on their site a S16.18 where the PDF file and also at Madisound, they have a S161.8!
              I'm going to order the correct inductor but I was wondering what effect this is having on my speakers now?
              BAD SOLEN :M

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

They send you a .18mh inductor for the woofers?

Yes that would have major impact on the performance. Since the highs aren't being filtered out of the woofers it would give the impression that there wasn't much bass.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DeanP
                  • May 2004

No, they didn't send the wrong one , I ordered the wrong one ,which I got the info off of their(Solen) schematic from their website. I never really looked too hard at the PDF file that I got elsewhere on the web. I kinda thought when I recieved them that they looked a little small compared to what was going into the center channel.
                  Thats why they call us "beginners"! :roll:

Since the highs aren't being filtered out of the woofers it would give the impression that there wasn't much bass.
                  Exactly, but I thought there wasn't much bass due to only "3mm" of x-max.
                  Thanks for the reply and I guess it really wasn't a big emergency issue but then I was second guessing that maybe Solen's site was correct. ;x(
                  Last edited by DeanP; 08 November 2005, 22:41 Tuesday.

Comment

• DeanP
                    • May 2004

My Audax are even better now!

Well the 1.8 16 gauge inductors came,so I just finished them last night and now they HAVE BASS! :T

It was a bit of a job(but not too bad) to remove the drivers to get at the x-overs as I siliconed them in. I replaced the incorrect inductor with the correct one and while I was in there, I changed some wiring on the x-over that I wasn't happy with. I fired them up this afternoon and what a difference. I have bass plus they still are "crystal" clear as they were before! I'm definitely learning...

My next DIY (or at least my thoughts are) will be to make an amp. Does anybody have any links where a person can buy a kit?

Comment

• DeanP
                      • May 2004

Moved question to new thread...
                      Last edited by DeanP; 02 March 2008, 22:58 Sunday.

Comment

• peter_m
                        • Sep 2007

DeanP,

do you use the mains for music listening? If yes, do you find the tonal properties change allot when you get up and move about in the room?

Peter

Comment

• DeanP
                          • May 2004

I use them for both , ht & music. The tonal properites don't change a lot when I move around the room. As you can see in my first post, my room doesn't really allow me to move around much! Ha! Ha!(see "set up close up shot" photo link)

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"