X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bc1nurse
    • Feb 2005

Yet another Sonosub Question

Well, I've been lurking for quite a while and have decided to build a sonosub.
    However, some of the experienced members have indicated that these subs are not a dead as they prefer.

The sub that I was considering to build would be a 453 liter 24" sub with an 18" Avalanche powered by a 350w Rythmic plate amp tuned to 16Hz with an 8" port.

If I nested the 24 inch sonotube inside a 26" tube and filled the gap with pourable urethane foam, would that help to reduce the tube resonance?

I already have the Avalanche and Rythmic amp.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

It might but I wouldn't bother. With the weight of that 18" driver and some properly made end caps (3" thick) I doubt you'd have any issues to worry about.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If I nested the 24 inch sonotube inside a 26" tube and filled the gap with pourable urethane foam, would that help to reduce the tube resonance?
      I've heard so called experts state there were resonances, but no one has ever shown any proof to backup this claim.

My experience building many, many tube subs, is that resonances (if there are any) aren't an issue worth bothering with.

Your method will work. It will be extremely messy and difficult to guarantee there won't be voids, given the way that foam expands in a narrow gap.

BTW, you might want to rethink using that particular amp. It's a little down on power for a driver with a Pmax of 800 watts and a sub with a 16Hz tuning. There's not going to be much headroom if you need to use any EQ boost.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• bc1nurse
        • Feb 2005

Thank you for your advice :T

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"