X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

RS midrange?

I don't know if I've had a wet dream or actually read somewhere about a coming RS series mid? Anyone know anything about it? Is it a cone or a dome?

I hope it wasn't a dream... 8O :B
  • capslock
    • Dec 2004

Well, looking at the CSD and distortion plots in HobbyHifi, the RS125 makes an excellent midrange, easily on par with the Excel W12 and certainly much better than the RS150 which has the weaknesses of the RS180 and in addition less excursion capability.

Comment

• ekkoville
      • Aug 2004

I hope it wasn't a dream...
      Hope you're not doing laundry right now!! :B

Comment

• Mark K
        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by capslock
        Well, looking at the CSD and distortion plots in HobbyHifi, the RS125 makes an excellent midrange, easily on par with the Excel W12 and certainly much better than the RS150 which has the weaknesses of the RS180 and in addition less excursion capability.
        I spent a little time comparing the RS125 and RS150. The 125 does seem smoother in the midrange than the 150, but it definitely has less excursion and sensitivity. You can get maybe 5dB or so more out of the RS150. So it depends how low you want to go.

I think in an 3 way mtm W(W) etc format, the 125 might be very good. If you like it loud, or need to cross low, the 150 might be better.
        www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• KeithM
          • Oct 2005

It could very well be in the making. Since they already have subs, woofers, and tweeters, they might as well make it.

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

There have been confirmations that consideration is being given to making a dome midrange. Just consideration though, not much beyond that.

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• capslock
              • Dec 2004

Oh that, it might be a spinoff from the 50 mm beryllium dome development, much as the RS28 is the beryllium Usher with an alu dome.

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ekkoville
                Hope you're not doing laundry right now!! :B
                Already done! :B :rofl:

Comment

• Jonasz
                  • Nov 2004

My intention was to use the mid between W22 and Crescendo in a WMTMW configuraton. I have a couple of W15CY, would it be a good idea to buy another pair of those or is there any other more dedicated mids to recommend?

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                    • Jan 2005

Honestly, I hope that Darren concentrates on the 4 ohm unshielded versions of the RS stuff before he releases any midrange type of stuff. There are a LOT of car audio people (myself included) who are patiently waiting for 4 ohm stuff without the huge bucking magnets on the back.

Comment

• jdybnis
                      • Dec 2004

Did you see the debucking guide on diymobileaudio.com?
                      -Josh

Comment

• Jim85IROC
                        • Jan 2005

Yes, but I also see a lot of people ruining the drivers, plus if I plan to sell these, even in small quantities, I need a much better solution.

Comment

• jdybnis
                          • Dec 2004

Personally I'd love to see a scaled up version of the RS28a. Something like the Jordan JX53 but with no cone breakups in the audio band. A 40mm dome with enough excursion to cross over <500Hz would be perfect. I want to try using something like that to about 13k togeather with a rear firing supertweeter for ambiance. I haven't found a small driver that can cross low enough to make it interesting.
                          Last edited by jdybnis; 02 November 2005, 01:47 Wednesday.
                          -Josh

Comment

• Jonasz
                            • Nov 2004

I guess it's on it's way... http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/cata...pec06.indd.pdf

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

Yes, but no 3/4 dome to go with it.

:B

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

Hmmm, maybe pretty cool! Lots more efficient than the MB Quart 2" dome mid I used to use; will be very interesting to get hands on one of these and put it through the tests. Might be a viable alternative for midrange in a WMTW center channel. Depends on how low it will really play clean, and how high before the ETC plots look screwey. Sweet!

Now, if only three way crossovers didn't wind up having so many parts and such a price tag....

The MB Quart I used to use with Dual Scanspeak Kevlars, two MB quarts, and an MB quart (modified) 1" titanium tweeter. Because of the efficiency issues, it was an WMTMW configuration. Sort of like a mini- Dunlavey. Crossovers at 800 Hz and 3.2 kHz.

~Jon
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                Obi-Wan
                                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Jon, you're thinking along the same lines I'm thinking! The sensitivity is what caught my eye.

In fact, I'm eyeing this for use all around in my HT - I have to keep the cabinets narrow (6.5" wide at the baffle above ~24" up from the floor or it won't fit between my screen and the wall on that side). Room below that, tons of room for a CC.

I also have some vague hope that it actually has good response through enough of the indicated range that we can play with (brace yourself here) lower order crossover slopes! That means, yes, fewer components, lower cost!

Pair of RS225's, one of these, and a tweeter... Should allow a 90-92dB sensitive speaker when placed near-boundary (as is so often the case in a HT - certainly will be in mine). May have to consider non-Dayton tweeters though. A couple dB gentle roll-off on the top may not be bad either though, given that so many soundtracks are recorded hot to overcome being played through the screen.

I'm just not sure how to approach surrounds yet. But that's where a nice 3/4 tweeter might allow nice wide dispersion.

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by cjd
                                    Jon, you're thinking along the same lines I'm thinking! The sensitivity is what caught my eye.

I also have some vague hope that it actually has good response through enough of the indicated range that we can play with (brace yourself here) lower order crossover slopes! That means, yes, fewer components, lower cost!

Pair of RS225's, one of these, and a tweeter... Should allow a 90-92dB sensitive speaker when placed near-boundary (as is so often the case in a HT - certainly will be in mine). May have to consider non-Dayton tweeters though. A couple dB gentle roll-off on the top may not be bad either though, given that so many soundtracks are recorded hot to overcome being played through the screen.

I'm just not sure how to approach surrounds yet. But that's where a nice 3/4 tweeter might allow nice wide dispersion.

C
                                    Some pretty similar ideas, Chris. With the MB Quart Mids, which were only 86 dB sensitivity, I used 4th order LR targets in one set, which usually worked out to 3rd order electrical high pass, 4th order low pass. But then the second set was done with 3rd order, which in an MTM makes for better vertical dispersion in the crossover lobe. There the target was also a 90 dB sensitivity speaker fairly close to the boundary.

My hope would be that these drivers have non-linear and linear distoriton on a par with the other RS products, including the dome tweeter. My feeling is the H1212 may be the part of choice to work with them. We'll see. But ThomasW and I have a bunch of TC120dx2's, and they's probably be pretty nice, too, in spite of there size. 93 dB sensitivity.

I keep hearing from Eric and a few others about a new wide surround 3/4" aluminum/Magnesium dome - the 22TAF/G - H1283

It's available now at Madisound (months ago when I was checking it wasn't), so in the hopes that the motor linearity is similar to the H1212, I'll have to get some in and test. Fs is about 1200 Hz, and FR looks pretty good from 1400 to 20 kHz, resonant peak in the 30-35 kHz area, but only about 5-6 dB. Inductive rise is remarkably well controlled.

H1283 Data Sheet at Madisound

Should be worth checking out... might even handle a high slope crossover in the 1600-1800 Hz area, depending on how non-linear distortion looks at 1500 Hz. Another to-do list for Praxis.

~Jon
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Dec 2004

That Seas tweeter does look promising, though I'd love to see some good distortion tests and whatnot. The H1212 is not on my list of options - I just don't want to deal with the big peak it has, and every time I've heard it my ears were unhappy (including at lower volumes).

Not sure I like the price, but the OW1 may be a contender too. I seem to recall you don't like that tweeter though?

How about the XT19?

Or even those $5 Neo tweeters Dayton offers? (someone else suggested those really)

So many questions, so few answers at this point.

C

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

I don't really have a strong opinion about the OW1- did one design with it for a friend. MarkK doesn't have all that high an opinion of it, due to average distortion performance- not first tier.

The XT19 doesn't hold up too well in nonlinear distortion. Would need a high crossover or a waveguide like AJ uses.

I'm very curiouis to see how the H1283 works, for the CT or three way application. Would still want to keep the crossover point as low as possible due to driver spacing issues.

I last used 3/4" tweeter back in the 80's; I ended up not really caring for that Seas model very much.

~Jon
                                        Attached Files
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                          Would still want to keep the crossover point as low as possible due to driver spacing issues.
                                          What, you too chicken to trim the driver faceplates?

Yeesh.

Looking at that RS mid has already suggested it might get such treatment from me. I'd just like to get 2500 or 2800Hz crossover perhaps. Not really sure why.

C

Comment

• Mark K
                                            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                            I don't really have a strong opinion about the OW1- did one design with it for a friend. MarkK doesn't have all that high an opinion of it, due to average distortion performance- not first tier.
                                            did I say that... 8O

The ow1 is pretty nice is some respects, and probably worth a look if you're looking for high dispersion and can cross high. I mean, this is one of the smoothest widest dispersion tweeters I've ever tested. Just seems to have only an average motor and low end distortion.

And, since no one really knows how much dispersion is "the right" dispersion, it's personal choice. It's Dennis Murphy's favorite, I think.

Marvin had an interesting link. Looks like it's a Peerless India rebadged. I don't know what that means...I have not done any testing on this. Darren hasn't mentioned it...

what really looks good is the new scan speak. I've been thinking of getting on my hands and knees and begging Ken Kantor for a sample to test. I wouldn't mind paying for a true winner...and I'm sure it's expensivvvvvvvvvvvvvvve.
                                            www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                              • Mar 2005

Zaph has tested the SEAS 22mm : http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/
                                              One day I'll be able to afford my favorite (can't justify the cost right now )

Then we'll see if it's as good as I think.

Cheers,

AJ
                                              Manufacturer

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Mark K
                                                did I say that... 8O

The ow1 is pretty nice is some respects, and probably worth a look if you're looking for high dispersion and can cross high. I mean, this is one of the smoothest widest dispersion tweeters I've ever tested. Just seems to have only an average motor and low end distortion.

And, since no one really knows how much dispersion is "the right" dispersion, it's personal choice. It's Dennis Murphy's favorite, I think.

Marvin had an interesting link. Looks like it's a Peerless India rebadged. I don't know what that means...I have not done any testing on this. Darren hasn't mentioned it...

what really looks good is the new scan speak. I've been thinking of getting on my hands and knees and begging Ken Kantor for a sample to test. I wouldn't mind paying for a true winner...and I'm sure it's expensivvvvvvvvvvvvvvve.
                                                Dennis is sweet on the OW1- for a long time. They are very flat in FR, and nice off axis.

There's something schizo about a bunch of guys that are waxing eloquently over the merits of sub $30 and multi-megabuck tweeters like (I presume) the D2904/710000.... (am I correct in assuming THAT's the one you're refering to?) Not the big buck ring radiators...

Or is there something else coming out I'm not even aware of yet... ?

Actually, I think the D3004/66000 has some of the nicer looking plots, and it does have an aluminum faceplate.
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Feb 2004

I think the 66000 is the winner, with it's Seas Millenium like magnet structure. I want to try one of those. I think the price will be around 250 - 300 euro a piece.

Those 7xxxx are not my cup of tea. I used the 70000, dispersion is a bit limited, and it has some sibilance on top, tried different x-overs from 2000 Hz - 4000 Hz. Even at 4kHz its a bitch to filter ...

My opinion is that if your system has enough resolution, it pays of to invest in a better tweeter. For some reason those cheaper units are always lacking in resolution.

Comment

• Feyz
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mark K
                                                    Marvin had an interesting link. Looks like it's a Peerless India rebadged. I don't know what that means...
                                                    Just thought this may be interesting:

Comment

• Mark K
                                                      • Feb 2002

I was referring to the 6600

mmmmmmm.
                                                      www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Hmmmm, that makes sense. Do you (or anyone?) have any idea of planned availability and price? The off axis is really very good for that size dome, and it's certainly smooth and wideband. Is it thought to be in the same price range as the 7100-00, or more? Or less?

At that price range, I'd also be tempted by the C24-6. Seems to have very low distortion down to 1 kHz. Both 1 watt and 5 watt curves look pretty nice- I'd wonder how it would test with Multi-tone IM.

Have to see if Santa has anything in the sack for me- our incentives have been delayed by 6-8 weeks.

~Jon
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"