Clear All
  • DeanP
    • May 2004

DAYTON 12" HO SUB-Deal of the Weekend @ Parts Express

Dayton's 12" HO for $100!
    Here
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

The HF driver looks better spec-wise, but this is still a deal. Something I just realized weird about the High-fidelity driver is that it has a higher output than the high output driver.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

What size box Keith?

The HO is designed to be cranked in a small(er) box with boost, whereas the HF requires more box but also less power... one's for the boom boom crowd, one is for the audiophile.

Or, that's the theory.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

I'm just referring to the free-air test that dayton provides.

Comment

• capslock
          • Dec 2004

Well, does anybody have full TS parameters?

The HO has half the Vas at about the same fs, so it is bound to have a higher moving mass. Where did they add the weight? Different (heavier?) cone or just some dead mass added near the VC?

The HO has a four layer VC vs. a two layer VC in the HO. This is what brings it up to almost the same sensitivity again.

Comment

• Scott Simonian
            • Nov 2004

The HO has half the Vas at about the same fs, so it is bound to have a higher moving mass. Where did they add the weight?
            It's in the cone. On the parts express page it should say the difference between the two series. At least it does in the mailed home mag from PE. The cone is heavier to withstand the higher internal pressures.
            My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• capslock
              • Dec 2004

Actually, my calculations tell me that in a 30 l sealed box (Q=0.7 for the HO) as well as in a 55 l box (0.7 for HF) the HO is about 25% more efficient, even if it offers about 15 Hz higher f3 in the big box case. This is true all the way down to 20 Hz, so one may use LT without remorse

Comment

• capslock
                • Dec 2004

Must have been a typo in of of the parameters. The HF is more efficient, but not by much:
                0.1771% for the HO, 0.192% for the HF.

The XXLS308 is more like 0.35%, the SLS12 0.72%, but they both need bigger boxes (unless one is going dipole).
                Last edited by capslock; 24 October 2005, 09:42 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"