X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SammyXP
    • Oct 2005

Sub Amplifier in its own enclosure?

I just got in the materials I need to build my first DIY HT sub and looking at this Bash 300w amp thinking that it would compromise the seal and integrity of this massive box. All the effort into making the box rigid and airtight seems in vain with this thin plate and switches with some sealant around them.

Do I really need to be concerned? I'm thinking about building a small enclosure in the wall of the sub box for the amp, with some cooling fans to keep the amp from suffocating in the enclosure. Does this seem unecessary? Or maybe a good idea?

Thanks in advance! This Dayton 15" DVC sub looks freakin awesome!
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IMO any plate amp should be mounted in a sub-enclosure and completely sealed from the woofer.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SammyXP
      • Oct 2005

Seems that should be pretty obvious, I guess. With all the effort put into rigidity and sealing that goes into the rest of the enclosure, it would be a shame to expect the plate amp to provide that level of integrity.

I'll make a sub-enclosure for the amp. Since it'll be airtight, a few fans would probably be a good idea. Need something quiet, though.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

If it needs fans, the amp will come with them. Those are intended for being in a sealed box. The mounting plate itself generally provides a sufficient heat-sink.

Don't worry about it.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"