X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DiamondAussie
    • Sep 2005

new speaker system for Mum

Hey guys.
    just a quick shout out to all of you. Been surfing through alot of this speaker stuff lately and have come across a new system for me. but that is not the reason for the post! :W Since I decided what to build for myself my mum has asked me to build her something very nice for her.... I know you guys will be able to help us out. She is looking for something that has excellent sound quality and good bass response (I hope that isn't an oxymoron) she has no size constraints and listens to kennyG some classical and a little bit of rock Led Zeppelin and the like. Her price range is "dual" I mean that she wants two quotes. One that's up to @500 CAD finished and one that's@1000 CAD finished. I love spending other peoples money :T
    Any way I was thinking of some of the Exodus audio kits, for the top prices, namely the LCR and 2641 I have heard that they are not very efficient - which leads me to the amplification An old (1975 kind of old) Sansui amp, I think rated at 100w per channel. Anyway I guess I need more direction on this project and need to research a little more on the low price range - or some ideas which way to go. Both of us haven't heard any TLs or Open Baffles so don't know what to expect that way.
    Sorry for the long post but I need to know a little more on what/where to look for a project that might work.
    Thanks,
    Aussie
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The best candidates for your needs are the stickey threads posted at the top of the forum. If you're in Canada getting the parts won't be a problem. If you're in Oz it will be...
    Last edited by ThomasW; 20 October 2005, 01:58 Thursday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

If you are in Canada, you could build the ExtremeMT speakers for less than $1000 CAD. The Modula MTMs would probably be a little more than that, but in the same neighbourhood. Or a probably cheaper solution would be to get a kit from www.creativesound.ca BTW, I have powered the ExtremeMTs with and old Sansui too, worked fine in a normal sized room.

Comment

• DiamondAussie
        • Sep 2005

I looked into the css site, actually been looking at that for a while now....
        and no i am not from Oz I reside in Alberta, Canada, just a name thats all.
        Anyway I've also been looking at the superspires from CSS and it looks interesting, is it more like a line array or something else? I figured it is efficient enough with the power to be used and looks good too.
        Anyone hear that one? I don't know what to say about the Frequency response for the music to be listened to but am interested in a pair - maybe.
        Actually I was hoping for more of a 3-way instead of just a MT.
        looked at the Extreme MT (kind of resembles the exodus kit 61?) and it just doesn't look like it would have big enough sound for my mum. You see she's partially deaf... OK maybe she's only selectively deaf hearing me (sorry mum) ops:
        wanted more of a floorstanding set instead of a stand mount, however if you say the MT has the sound were looking for - then maybe thats where i should look.

thanks again for the help
        Aussie

Comment

• GrahamT
          • Oct 2004

Just giving you some options. The Extreme MT was designed for big sound in a bookshelf cabinet, not high output and efficiency. If you have the desire and space for a larger design, and want efficiency and higher dynamic output, that is probably the way to go. Do as much research as you can, take your time, and you will find the right design or kit for your application.

Comment

• DiamondAussie
            • Sep 2005

hey guys, my mum has changed her mind for now and lowered the price budget for her speakers down to $200. we have agreed on the Zaph audio bookshelf with the silver flute 5" and the vifa d27 with the slanted woofer baffle. It looks good so what the hell, right? Just need to put in some numbers for the port and see what might come of it. or if anyone has built these - what port length/size did you use and what tuning? I'm using unibox407 and it is rather confusing to say the least :blink:

Comment

• DiamondAussie
              • Sep 2005

ok... so I just noticed that unibox FR is only up to 1000Hz so I guess that won't work.any ideas on a free program?

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"