X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beau
    • Apr 2005

Dipole Plan #235.....

Sorry If I am starting to irritate anyone on the board, Im thinking I might have finally come up with a solution for my Dipole Quest.

Tweeters- Dyn D260 (Already have)

Mid- Seas m15ch001 (already have)

Woofers-TC2+, 2 per side.

DCX active x-over

Crossed over at 2500hz and 370hz, U baffle for woofers, stuffed with poly to avoid cavity resonance issues. 33cm wide baffle.

Comments?
    Beau.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Sounds fun!

Have you tried running the numbers in SL's spreadsheet? That will give you a good idea whether your midrange will be able to keep up with the woofers.

Personally, I'm thinking that 370 Hz is a wee bit high to be taking the TC2+. It's generally happier at 200 Hz or less for the upper crossover frequency. If you want to go that high with a sort of long throw woofer, you'd probably have more luck with the RS265HF 10" woofer. Low inductance and very stiff cone. I'll be doing some detailed measurements on it soon (my new Praxis setup and ACO Pacific mic are due in tomorrow!) :B

OK, I see where you are, on second view, (literally), and getting the RS sub may be a bit of a problem down under. What alternatives are feasible- are the TC2+ available in Oz?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Beau
      • Apr 2005

Thanks Jon, Yep Down Under.
      Getting the TC's is no problem, Todd will happily ship them, the drivers I have considered are the XLS 12 ,TC2+ 12 and the RS subs. The Peerless are the only locally available drivers so by the time I factor in shipping they all end up roughly the same price.
      Call me vain but I really dislike the look of the Rs Subs, hence narrowing it down to the XLS and TC+.
      From what I have gleaned ,the TC is much happier than the XLS above 200HZ or so ,hence my choice seeing as I am using such a small mid.
      Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the TC was quite happy up to 600HZ?
      Anyway, Im sure you guys wil have words of wisdom for me.
      Beau.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, appearance is a very personal preference, I agree- one man's favorite may be another's least favorite.

An odd thing is that some of the pictures I've seen posted on the 'net are way ugly compared to the factory pictures, and my own samples. They look like the prototypes, not the finished goods.

Umm, 600 Hz? Not having done ETC testing yet, I can't comment on that, but the FR plot has a break in the response curve (roll off due to inductance) around 350 Hz which could be the onset of the first cone mode - or it may just be an abrupt narrowing of dispersion due to driver size offsetting the roll off.

I didn't run frequency response with distortion plots up that high last time I measured them; I'll do that in early November, as I'm curious, and you probably are, too. I'd usually recommend staying 3X lower than the first significant breakups, to avoid the distortion rise on the fundamental that sets in there due to cone amplitude.

I do like concave cones like the TC2+ and M8a; seems to help control breakup modes and level.

Drop back by sometime and check in from time to time- hopefully I'll have some of that stuff up in the next few weeks.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Beau
          • Apr 2005

Thanks heaps, you couldnt keep me away from this forum if you tried!! ookforward to the resuts.
          Beau.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

You're welcome.

The new Praxis setup and ACO Pacific microphone did arrive today; I'll have to finish assembling the PC it's going to be used with, but all the "guts" are here.

I plan to do multi-tone testing, shaped sine burts testing, and swept distortion/frequency response, so there will be plenty to do to keep me busy!

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"