X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scriffer
    • Oct 2005

Full range speakers

I've had a 10wpc push/pull tube amp for about 6 months now, and I've been unable to find some speakers that I like with in my price range. (read: cheap because I'm a college student.) I've found some very interesting full range speakers online like Cain and Cain (drool) and Omega that look like they would match up well with my amp, but of course the price gets in the way.

Would a basic full range system be a good first time DIY project? It seems that the lack of a crossover in these systems would simplify the project greatly. The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency. The manufacturer specifically says that any speakers used should be 90+ db, and of course a resistance load of 8 ohms.

All suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance.
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Ahh, when you say full range, you really mean single driver and you'll live without actually having full range sound.

The larger the driver, the better bass response and all that, but the worse it gets on the top end. The smaller drivers give you smoother top end response but less bass response. No single driver ever really covers the last octave well (though they can do very reasonably on-axis) - just has to do with driver size and dispersion patterns.

Check out the Z-horn. It's at least one project that comes to mind that may suit your needs well. One of the Tang-Band 4" bamboo drivers may just do the trick quite nicely except that they don't have the sensitivity you're looking for. Parts Express has 'em. Higher sensitivity = $$. Madisound has a great selection of "single driver" drivers.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Doug Lockwood
      • Mar 2005

Several of the posters on DIY Audio Full Range forum recommended the Visaton B200. This driver is designed for Open baffle applications. I haven't gotten around to it, but I love OB speakers and will try it in the future.

At the risk of offending everyone here, this seems to be a pistonic crowd.
      In other words, low distortion drivers running only in the range where they do not exhibit breakup. The tradeoff is lower efficiency and complex crossovers.

Good luck;

Doug

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Doug Lockwood
        At the risk of offending everyone here, this seems to be a pistonic crowd.
        Let me put this another way. This crowd seems obsessed with absolute accuracy and lack of any addition that doesn't belong. As such, I would call your comment an accurate assessment. So not at all offending.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Scriffer
          • Oct 2005

Ahh, when you say full range, you really mean single driver and you'll live without actually having full range sound.
          Yeah, I suppose that about covers it.

I've looked at couple of those suggested and just browsed Madisound a bit, and I think I've seen some stuff that might do nicely. Now I just have to find a place to do the fabrication....

Thanks for the help all.

Comment

• KeithM
            • Oct 2005

Try the high schools and places that have a woodworking classes. I have a friend that gave the cabinet dimensions and the wood to the local shop class at school, then passed it to the art class and ended up with an awsome looking cabinet.
            What drivers are you looking at for your project?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"