X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scriffer
    • Oct 2005

Recommended Reading

What are some good books or magazines I could pick up in order to start learning more about the technical background of home audio electronics, especially speaker and amp design. I won't be able to build anything, but I figure it would be wise to know the details of what I'm getting into. I've looked at some books on amazon.com, but from the reviews, none of them appeared strong across the board.

As a background for me regarding technical knowledge, I'm coming from a four-week unit in Physics (best teacher I ever had) my senior year of high school 5 years ago. I've learned enough over the last few years to know the basics on what numbers are good or not in regard to specs, but there's not much more than that.

Thanks for any input. :T
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Ben, I'm moving this post into the Mission Possible DIY forum. Thomas, Jon and the gang can point you in the right direction. They're easy-going, really smart and handsome too (is it deep enough, yet?), so have fun in Speaker Design 101.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

This is going to sound weird but I'm starting off recommending with THE definitive book on acoustics.

"The Master Handbook of Acoustics" F. Alton Everest

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

Welcome Ben,

For an intro into speaker design try the Cookbook by Vance Dickason, or books by David Weems, John Murphy etc. You can get some of the books here: http://solen.ca/bktee.htm

Another resource would be to get involved in DIY meetings and other audio get togethers. There are plenty of gatherings in your area.

Comment

• KeithM
          • Oct 2005

I'm going to recommend the Lousdespeaker Cookbook by Vance Dickason and the Acoustic Handbook mentioned earlier. I think it may be of advantage to buy a book on crossovers, but I don't know of any good ones.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

"Speaker Building 201", available from Madisound, online, $30.

Regarding amplifiers, check out Douglas Self's site, and if your'e interested in valuable insight regarding practical fundamentals of solid state amplifier design, get his "Audio Power Amplifer Design Handbook". If those whet youre appetite, and you've got the stomach for real math and technology, get Gedlee's book on transducer design.

Also, the AES Anthologies on speaker related papers are good. Can be purchased online from the AES.

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rolyasm
              • Dec 2004

Scriffer, Cedia has some recemmended reading and list them from beginner to advanced.
              CEDIA is the leading global organisation for the smart home technology industry, serving more than 3,500 members from 77 countries.

I haven't read any of these, but I have a few on order at Barnes and Noble. I am half way through the master handbook of acoustics. Good read but loses me at times.
              Roly

Comment

• apilon
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Rolyasm
                Scriffer, Cedia has some recemmended reading and list them from beginner to advanced.
                CEDIA is the leading global organisation for the smart home technology industry, serving more than 3,500 members from 77 countries.

I haven't read any of these, but I have a few on order at Barnes and Noble. I am half way through the master handbook of acoustics. Good read but loses me at times.
                Roly
                The problem with Cedia is that they did not updated their list of books therefore a lot of them are out of print

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"