X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pistolpete
    • Oct 2005

Titanic III 15" kit sub

Anyone have the Dayton Titanic III 15" kit? I have the 10" and it rocks. Best value in my system by far. Thinking about getting the 15" and would like to hear from people who have it.

Here are links to the kit and to the amp that comes with it.

Thanks, Pete
  • MDJones
    • Sep 2005

Pete,

I do not own this kit, but I am in the process of building my own 15" sub. I asked around about the Titanic driver, and although it may work well, it seems like there are better options for around the same price. I am not sure what your price range or DIY capabilites are, but the sonotube sub I want to build should be in the neighborhood of around $900 (not sure exactly until it's done). This is a ported design with a BFD (equalizer) and about 700-900 Watts of power (Behringer EP1500) included in the price.

If you don't want to spend any more than the $700 Titanic kit and already enjoy the sound/performance of the 10", then go for it, especially if you just want to make it easier by using their kit. But, if you are up for doing some research and building your own sub from scratch, you would probably see more performance for around the same amount of money.

Comment

• pistolpete
      • Oct 2005

I would love to build it myself. However, no tools or space to do so.

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

I'd look for something else. You're paying for a 1000 watt amplifier for 400 dollars. I think you will never need that kind of power. For 200 dollars or so, you can get a different amp that wouldn't have as much power, but it would still be plenty power. Also, I think you'd need some kind of equalization for it since it's in a sealed box.

For the box building, talk around. You might be able to go to a high school with a shop class and have them build it as a project. Then have the art class paint it and have a very unique subwoofer.

Comment

• ajpoe
          • Jul 2004

I built 2 avalanche 15" subs... if you did one and got a cheaper amp, you'd be in the same ballpark and the avalanche was highly recommended over the titanic driver. The Avalanche 15" is $299 and the PE 3.0 liter box is $150. I too didn't have the tools to build my own box so I used it. If you can get your hands on a jig saw, you can cut your own holes in the PE box easy enough. Thomas also recommended bracing the inside with an extra layer but that wasn't expensive. The sheet of MDF and glue was around $25. I'm sure you could find an amp for the remaining $250 or so to drive it to be around the same $700 cost of the titanic kit. Regardless of the sub you choose, spend an extra $100 and get a BFD.
          AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

AJPoe,

What volume did you settle on for your AV15's? I modeled it with a Q of .5, but wonder what others came up with.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

He bought the 3L boxes from PE reinforced them and dropped in the Ave 15".

Here's the thread on his project

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"