X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

wilson audio-ish speakers

ok my wife kinda put the kibosh on my dream of an all tube home theater, she wants it to be very easy to use. but she has no care for the decor of the room or the size of the speakers.

This brings me to the conclusion that i should just try and build my "dream Speakers" and go after a wilson audio watt/puppy or sophia type of speaker. i was at first thinking of taking inspiration from the modula's and going with all dayton audio drivers. but i think that i have changed my mind after hearing some of the problems that people have been having with the rs tweeters. so i am now thinking about using morel mdt33's for the tweeters. I am thinking of using rs180's for the woofers and am not sure but am thinking of rs10's (hi-fi) for the bass bin. I plan to bi-amp.

the problem is this i have no clue about crossovers, i can build the cabinets but i don't know where to begin with crossover design. this is further aggravated by the fact that i am not at all good with a soldering iron (though i plan to practice quite a bit).
    i would very much appriciate some help.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

There may be other folks similarly inclined to follow your path. I still like the RS28a quite a bit, but am also experimenting with the Seas H1212. The latter may be (on an "objective" basis one of the best choices below $100. I'm a bit of an objectivist, so I'd want to see some distortion data and ETC plots on the Morel before I personally considered it for a design.

If you're planning on a conventional active crossover, then incorporating BSC in the upper module in the same way as for a conventional two way would probably be the say to go. Then, perhaps a 125 Hz to 150 Hz crossover active (LR4) to the "bass bin" would be easy to do.

Esthetically, there's a lot of choice in execuation; baffle width and it's affect on BSC being the most important to nail down early in the design.

As I posted on an earlier post, this concept has some appeal to me, too, but I'm more interested (personally) in something like an Isis Klone, due to the esthetics and my general roots, experience, and preferences. Were I to persue that, I'd probably evaluate both the RS150 and RS180 carefully before making a choice, if on a budget.

If not on a budget, then I might prefer a W18 Seas. I don't think the Accuton midwoofers bring that much more to the party, considering the cost. I wouldn't want to use a C95-6 above about 1500 Hz, either, due to influence of cone resonance on 3rd harmonic.

First, you might stumble across someone who as done or is doing something similar to what you want- check out the PE Support board and projects page, and use your trusty friend google.

In developing a crossover for a custom speaker, there's rarely any workable substitute for the ability to do measurements on drivers in your final cabinet configuration, and develop the crossover accordingly, or enlist someone if you can get the measurements done yourself.

For an example of a high end quasi DIY speaker like you're talking about, consider the Salk Veracity HT-3.

It certainly illustrates one way the concept can be developed.

Salk Sound Veracity HT3

OTOH, my roots technically and esthetically are more aligned with speakers like Avalon's designs, in spite of my own SLAMM X1 Klones, and I'm probably more intersted doing something like this, just to be annoying to Neil.

But it will be months before I have time to even consider this seriously, due to my "day job".

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cinema bob
      • Apr 2005

thank you very much for your input. i will be looking into those seas drivers.
      it will probably be some time before i am able to seriously start building these speakers so i have some time to look into designs that i like. those avalons are very cool.

Comment

• cadman
        • Sep 2003

Watt/puppy clones

well I built the Watt/puppy clones
        and they sound very good plans are here not that hard to do

I used ETON drivers 7" , focal tweeter and 2 8" ETON

still working on them
        have fun
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cadman; 05 October 2005, 00:35 Wednesday.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Cadman, you have any pics of the speakers you built?
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

If not on a budget, then I might prefer a W18 Seas. I don't think the Accuton midwoofers bring that much more to the party, considering the cost. I wouldn't want to use a C95-6 above about 1500 Hz, either, due to influence of cone resonance on 3rd harmonic.
            I found that the W18EX001 is easier to filter than an C95-T6, this is because of the fact that the number of reasonable sounding x-over points for the Accuton is larger than for the Seas. So making a really good x-over takes more time. I also think the W18EX is better sounding ...

What kind of Avalons are those Jon?

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

That show was the world premier of the $48K Avalon Isis. There was no information available about their design. Given the cost, one can assume diamond tweeters

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                That show was the world premier of the $48K Avalon Isis. There was no information available about their design. Given the cost, one can assume diamond tweeters
                I agree on that , and those new Accuton units with neodym motors ???

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Don't know, it wasn't a situation where one could just jump up and pop off the grill frames. There's pad of wool felt in those to assist in diffraction control.

There was no literature, and no one from Avalon around to answer questions.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Thomas, did you get any other pics, say, closer up?

~Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Nope see my reply to this same question in the RS180 Modula TM thread.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JoshK
                        • Mar 2005

As long as we are throwing out what we personally enjoy in aesthetics, the kharma ceramique is probably my favorite speaker aesthetically speaking. Not the drivers so much as the cabinet geometry. If I ever get some time, I would love to klone the cabinets of the Kharma's and put a variation of the Modula MT in them. I would really love to do them up in Mappa Burl.

mappa burl

I think I found the appropriate router bit for the Kharma baffle edges. Its a 3 1/8" diameter handrail bit.

Comment

• Dennis H
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Aug 2002

That shape is similar to what Jim Salk is doing. He uses solid wood for the upper baffle and raw veneer for the rest. I couldn't find one in Mappa but here's one in Bubbinga.

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

Hi Dennis, yeah it is similar and yet I don't like the geometry of the Salk HT3as. Funny because they aren't that different. I guess I am just picky and like things just so. Not as picky as my wife though.

Comment

• Dennis H
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Aug 2002

If you want a narrower look, you could always use a pair of TC Sounds 8" instead of the single 10".

Comment

• JoshK
                                • Mar 2005

It really has to do in my mind with the added baffle of the uppers not being flush with the lower baffle, no roundover on the baffle ex added baffle & the transition of the angle to straight sides being not in the logical spot in my mind. Just my opinions of course but I will still try to klone the ceramique 3.x someday in the distant future.

The thumbnail roundover used on the Kharma's is the bomb in my opinion and is what is missing on most other look alikes. I found the bit but further examining would suggest veneer would be impossible without a big seam on the side, due to the roundover in the transition. Bummer, as I like *some* wood looks better than painted, but painted can be ok too.

Comment

• JoshK
                                  • Mar 2005

When I get to that point, having build the cabinets, I will measure the drivers in the cabinet and try to modify the CE filter of the Modula MT for such a cabinet and then try to ellicit feedback from the Guru's here. I probably will get to this when Jon gets to finishing all the projects he has on the burner right now.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

Josh, the only way you can get a roundover on the front, with a complex front shape, is to use solid wood. So, you just need to keep your eyes open for two pieces of 6/4 or 8/4 burl big enough to do the baffles all the way to the floor. Then you can veneer the sides and back to match. Once you have the materials, you can do whatever shape you like.

Comment

• JoshK
                                      • Mar 2005

The roundover on the Kharma is on the sides, not the front which I think makes it actually slightly more complicated.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2002

Not really. Just a matter of how you hold the router. The baffle just needs to be thick enough for the profile you chose. Of course if the "sides wrapping around the baffle with a groove" is a necessary design feature, you'll have to buy more burl. Make the sides out of solid burl and veneer the front. Or just build the whole thing out of solid wood. Tricky but it can be done if you live in a place where the inside humidity doesn't swing wildly.

Comment

• JoshK
                                          • Mar 2005

I hear ya Dennis, and I am not really arguing with you. I just meant to point out what I thought was a practical aspect of the design. It *seems* most practical to have the baffle swoop on the side or else the front baffle will be 5"+ thick. I don't think I could find nor afford such a chunk of wood or appropriate size.

Comment

• sturebjorvig
                                            • May 2005

JoshK : "As long as we are throwing out what we personally enjoy in aesthetics, the kharma ceramique is probably my favorite speaker aesthetically speaking. Not the drivers so much as the cabinet geometry. If I ever get some time, I would love to klone the cabinets of the Kharma's and put a variation of the Modula MT in them."

Josh,

I agree with you completely in that the Kharma 3.x are very pleasing aesthetically, and I am sure soundwise too. And I also think that the Salk speakers are similar, but still very diferent from the Kharmas.

I am currently doing what you are thinking of doing, which is building Kharma-clones. Orginally I was going to build a 2-way using SS9800 and Excel W18, but now I am not sure, maybe I will try some Dayton RS drivers, perhaps using the Modula MT design.

I have attached some photos showing my clones so far. I am not quite finished building the cabinets yet. As you can see from the pictures, I have built the cabinets in 'one piece', and not like Kharma has done, which is kind of 'separating' the baffle from the sides, if you see what I mean. I think my take on this is more attractive, at least to my eyes.
                                            Judge for yourself.

Sture
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• JoshK
                                              • Mar 2005

Wow! Great work!

I'd love to see how you constructed them if you took any photos or would be willing to write a brief description of how to you constructed yours.

Cheers,
                                              Josh

Comment

• sturebjorvig
                                                • May 2005

Thanks Josh,

I will try to put together some kind of description over the weekend, if I get the time. In the meanwhile, here are some more pictures that show the building process. They should give you a pretty good idea of how I built them.

Take care,

Sture
                                                Attached Files

Comment

• JoshK
                                                  • Mar 2005

Thanks! Pictures speak a thousand words you know? I think I got the jist of how you did them. Very clever.

Comment

• sturebjorvig
                                                    • May 2005

Josh,

If you want to I will keep you updated with how I proceed with my project. I am hoping to have time to get the finish done on them soon, whatever that means. I will not put veneer on, just paint. I think that suits these speakers better somehow.

Here are pictures showing how Kharma build their cabinets, and some details on the feet. Simple but good-looking.

Sture
                                                    Attached Files

Comment

• JoshK
                                                      • Mar 2005

please do!

Comment

• TacoD
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2004

Those Kharma's only look great in non wood finishes...

-> sturebjorvig go for the Excel / Scanspeak units, I agree it is more expensive, but my experience is that i sounds better (nofi).

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"