X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamimu
    • Sep 2005

Eton 11.2

Has anyone experience with the ETON 11.2 kit? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and order the kit, but have not had the chance to listen to a completed ETON 11.2. Also, would it be beneficial to substitute the 19SD-1 tweeter that is recommended in the kit with the (better?) 25SD-1 tweeter? Any other kits one could suggest that are in the same class?

Thanks in advance.

Martin
  • ChrisGraeff
    • Sep 2005

If you haven't tried it already you might want to query the Madisound board as they sell the kit.

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

It came up recently on the Mad board and a couple of people preferred it to the MBOW1 3-way, which probably means it's a pretty good speaker. But opinions vary. Build it and tell us what you think.

Comment

• mamimu
        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the tip. I posted the same question on the Madisound board as well. I could not find anything on the Madisound board for the 11.2 kit. Can you send me the link?

Thanks in advance

martin

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I've had some friends build it, and overall, I'd say it's pretty good value. Eton does some very good cone designs, but the motor's aren't anything to write home about, and Xmax is not very high- note that the 11" is NOT a sub driver in any sense... Still, it's a nice overall design. The current version of the 5-880 is a pretty nice midrange. I'd do this in some thing more like an Avalon style cabinet of course (can you recall the Avalon Ascent, which used this woofer?), but then everyone knows I'm nutso.

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mamimu
            Has anyone experience with the ETON 11.2 kit? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and order the kit, but have not had the chance to listen to a completed ETON 11.2. Also, would it be beneficial to substitute the 19SD-1 tweeter that is recommended in the kit with the (better?) 25SD-1 tweeter? Any other kits one could suggest that are in the same class?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Definitely do not change the tweeter to the 25SD-1 because the kit was designed taking into consideration the frequency response of the 19SD and other variables. Also, there are 2 kits, one with an updated X-over from madisound. From what I have read, this version is better than the schematic from Eton. I've worked with eton, as I have built 2 kits from Germany, one called the Emotion which uses the ER4 tweeter and 8" woofer, the other is a 3-way with MHT12 tweeter, 4-300 midrange, and 8-472. Etons are good, but you may find that the ultimate in clarity and detail comes from metal cone woofers and midranges. Some do not have the front end equipment (amp etc) to keep them at their best however. That tells me that metal cone drivers are transparent and revealing. I'm working on a 3-way with excel W22, W15CH, and hiquphon OW1. I can't wait to compare the excel setup to my past projects, especially since I'm having measurements done from the actual drivers- very important I would think, since drivers vary from one to the next. Eton is known for less tight tolerances regarding TS parameters, but they are very good drivers none the less.

Comment

• Dennis H
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2002

Madisound XO.....

Comment

• mamimu
                • Sep 2005

Jon,

What speakers did your friends compare the Eton 11.2 against? I find very little literature, but I heard they are comparable to the Avalon Ascent. Very good sounding speakers! Yes, I know the 11ā€ is NOT a sub driver, but itā€™s self resonance is very low and because it is smaller and lighter, the base should sound nice and dry even in a ported design. Actually, I do like the Avalon style cabinets (I noticed you built some recently ā€“ great job!) Iā€™m just afraid it will change the acoustics of the overall design. What do you think?

Denis & Jed

Seems like all they changed on the updated X-over is the series resistor to the tweeter to dampen it a little bit. Iā€™ll try what version sounds better.

Thanks,

Martin

Comment

• tamosius
                  • Jan 2006

mamimu,
                  how's it going? Have you you started your project? Or maybe you changed your mind regarding Eton 11.2?

I decided to build Eton 11.2 a half year ago, I have got even MDF for it, but the project is suspended right now due to personal issues (moving to new house and other stuff). I wonder how it is going if you are doing those speakers already. If you do, make sure you post pictures with your progress.
                  Thanks, and good luck,
                  Tomas

Comment

• philip_g
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                    Madisound XO.....

sure is a nice, easy to read drawing.

Comment

• awm
                      • Feb 2004

I own two pairs...

and they're a VERY nice speaker. I have also built the SPCA (basically, an MB1), an Ellis 1801, a jonmarsh M8 mkIV -- all excellent speakers, if you're not familiar with them. I now own a set of Orions, which are definitely the best. But, the closest to the Orions in overall quality are the Etons. They are still one of my all time favorites and the best value of the bunch, including the Orions.

Do not change the tweeter. It's quite good. Listen to it before you decide otherwise.

I agree with what Jonmarsh posted re the Avalon style cabinet, which is how i did mine. You may email me for pics if you want. awm@lycos.com They're not jonmarsh quality in terms of the cabinetry, though, but then Avalon itself barely is...

;x(

Enjoy,
                      Andy

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Another option or two..

Hi Martin,

I'm a little late to the party but thought I'd offer a couple of alternate suggestions.

****Caution - Opinion alert!*****

I'm not quite as big a fan of Eaton drivers as Andy is. I had Legacy Audio speakers, which use Eton drivers, for a number of years berfore becoming involved in DIY speaker building and I just don't think the Etons compare sound quality wise to many of the newer drivers currently available for a lot less money.

If I wanted to spend a grand on a kit, I'd look really hard at the Peridot from Selah Audio. http://www.selahaudio.com/id96.html A Seas Excel mid with Fountek ribbons and dual 8" Seas L series woofers will make some sereiosly good sound that will stand comparison to the best designs available. :lol:

Also, Dennis Murphy is nearing completion of a 3-way RS driver design (RS150 mid and (2) RS225 woofers) with either a RS28 or a Seas H1212 tweeter. Rumor has it that they come embarrassingly close to premium Seas Excel designs for a fraction of the cost. I'm guessing that it'll come in at under $500 for all the drivers and standard crossover parts. A real bargain, IMHO. :T

Something to think about...

Jim

Originally posted by mamimu

Thanks in advance.

Martin

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

You could look at the thread here by David Roberts for a 3 way CC, featuring those RS drivers; there's three crossovers to chose from. The Selah kit looks pretty nice, too, just may have to watch the vertical dispersion on the ribbon (don't sit too close or below the workable listening axis.)
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                          Obi-Wan
                          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                            The Selah kit looks pretty nice, too, just may have to watch the vertical dispersion on the ribbon (don't sit too close or below the workable listening axis.)
                            Actually, Rick uses the Fountek NeoCD3.0 ribbon in his point source designs and it has excellent vertical dispersion that is easily comparable to a 1" dome. As you know, the longer ribbons become very limited vertically but the shorter ones aren't an issue. Rick does use the Fountek NeoCD2.0's in his linearrays which do have limited vertical dispersion which is desirable in a line array. I think I've heard every variety of popular ribbon over the last couple years DIY events here in the Midwest.

I also listen to 16 Fountek JP2.0's daily in my linearrays. :-) I freely admit to being a big ribbon fan.

Jim
                            Last edited by Jim Holtz; 11 January 2006, 10:23 Wednesday.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"