X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

DIY Pre-amp help

I am stuck at college right now and the preamp section on my integrated HK3375 is acting up. The right channel is almost always choppy and staticy. I dont think it is a dirty pot because it sounds the same no matter the volume and it is consistant. I've had dirty pots on other amps but this sounds much different. The amp is used and a refurb so there is no warranty.

So, I need to come up with a cheap pre-amp. The line out on my Pioneer DV-563a is high enough to connect to the power amp section and drive the speakers much louder than I would ever listen to them.

Can I just make a little box with a couple of rheostats to control the line voltage?

It seems to me that I just need something to attenuation the line level right?

I'm a mech, not an elec so bare with me.

Thanks in advance.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Can I just make a little box with a couple of rheostats to control the line voltage?
    Yep that's what so-called passive preamps do, they attenuate the signal from the source

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
      Yep that's what so-called passive preamps do, they attenuate the signal from the source
      Excellent, thanks Thomas. I'll look into that.

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

It looks like a double-gang 10 k ohm potentiometer might be the way to. I may just go with whatever I can find here though.

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

10K is usually a good compromise. Lower and your source may be driving a difficult load, higher and the driving impedance to the amp may be pretty high. Get an audio taper pot if you can find one, it'll make your life easier. Keep the interconnects as short as is practical, especially the ones from the pots to the amp.

Comment

• GrahamT
            • Oct 2004

Thanks for the confirmation Saurav. Havn't seen you around here much lately.

I'll look for audio taper pots. Thank you.

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

Graham,

Email ken_shih@digitalanaloguediy.com and ask him about his 10K ladder stepped attenuator (they are audio taper). This is about as good as it gets for an attenuator, and at $60 is much cheaper than DACT, etc. I have two of these attenuators, one for SS and one for a tube preamp. They are reasonably nice, although not perfect (some noise while switching, but nothing horrid). They certainly are a nicer solution than most pots.

Comment

• GrahamT
                • Oct 2004

Thanks Josh,

I'll look into that too.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"