Subwoofer audio/acoustics test, any opinions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boggy
    • Sep 2005

Subwoofer audio/acoustics test, any opinions?

Hi all,

some time ago we make some special wav files
    with shaped sine wave bursts. Because this is
    being very useful for us, we decide to make
    public version of it. It's based on Siegfried
    Linkwitz idea to listen shaped tone bursts...
    After some learning, talented people can hear
    very precisely where are "some strange things"
    in loudspeakers and acoustics. But, even without
    any learning we can hear that some loudspeaker
    driver has damaged or sounds strange...
    In this test we don't favorite any "special"
    frequency, we tried to make "sweep alike" test.
    Note that test is fairly slow, about 17 minutes
    for 91 discrete frequencies.

We make it like movie, and then you can see which
    frequency is played, even on some new "all-players"
    for home theater. Listen loudspeakers one
    by one, you have two same channels in video.

Note that we don't have strong background in
    loudspeakers and acoustics; we are engineers
    with experience in some other areas

Please download it and test it... any opinion
    will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

-boggy
    BoZo Electronics
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

Interesting concept. My "comments":

- Compress the file as a ZIP. I have a RAR decompressor, but I doubt most people do.

- Explain that the tone will be played every time the counter ticks off... I didn't get that right away, and a lot of people may not get it for a while longer.

- Go from higher frequencies to lower. It's annoying to wait through all the 10hz notes that my system won't play, before I get to the quiet, then regular notes.

- Play the note more often than 3 times. How about 5?

- It may be nice to have a slow version and a fast version. The fast version could play the frequency just three times, but with a much faster interval (1 sec) and only play every other frequency (100hz, 98hz, 96hz, 94hz, etc.). Or perhaps interleave them (100, 98, 99, 96, 97, 95)... or have a set of 5hz steps, each step plays 1 frequency then the other, such as 100hz-95hz, you play 5 notes each 1hz lower than the last, with an interval of 1 sec.

- Have the counter tick down in real seconds. Given the number is in the same place and looks the same as the second timer, I expect it to be in seconds, yet it counts down 1 every 3-4 seconds.

- I would love to hear a small musical passage instead of the beats. A mono-frequency tone, with no change in volume, would be nice, and would let people evaluate the 'speed' of their system.

- Try multi-frequency tunes, such as a simple song with notes only in the spectrum from 30hz - 40hz. It would be an interesting tool to spot the effects of room gains or nulls, if each note was supposed to be identical in volume.

- Since you have video, how about the more common frequency sweeps, with a visual display of the current frequency being played? I've always wanted something like that.

- Lastly but not leastly, I would really love to see this in the mid and high freq versions mentioned on the site!
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• boggy
      • Sep 2005

Hello wildfire99,

Thank you for your opinions and your time...

Let's see:

Originally posted by wildfire99
      Interesting concept. My "comments":

- Compress the file as a ZIP. I have a RAR decompressor, but I doubt most people do.
      Right.
      With winzip we have 50% larger archives...
      We use rar to save some bandwidth.

- Explain that the tone will be played every time the counter ticks off... I didn't get that right away, and a lot of people may not get it for a while longer.
      Ok, we don't have real User Manual yet, and sorry because that. We prepare it.

- Go from higher frequencies to lower. It's annoying to wait through all the 10hz notes that my system won't play, before I get to the quiet, then regular notes.
      We start with lower frequencies because they needs user attention...
      And 10Hz tones is useful because it is inaudible, and when you hear
      something, that isn't good.... woofer/port noise check.

- Play the note more often than 3 times. How about 5?
      I can double check our test, but I think that we are in middle...
      We play it four times, when tick go 3,2,1,0
      Tick say how many tones are left for written frequency when play current
      (sorry, I see, we must have at least readme.txt, if we don't have nice and colored user manual :x )

- It may be nice to have a slow version and a fast version. The fast version could play the frequency just three times, but with a much faster interval (1 sec) and only play every other frequency (100hz, 98hz, 96hz, 94hz, etc.). Or perhaps interleave them (100, 98, 99, 96, 97, 95)... or have a set of 5hz steps, each step plays 1 frequency then the other, such as 100hz-95hz, you play 5 notes each 1hz lower than the last, with an interval of 1 sec.
      THIS is nice idea for low frequency! 8)
      Our midrange test take some time (about one hour!), but if we play only one tone with
      smaller pause, and faster repetition, they will be shorter.
      Please check for Mid and High frequency parts at download page

- Have the counter tick down in real seconds. Given the number is in the same place and looks the same as the second timer, I expect it to be in seconds, yet it counts down 1 every 3-4 seconds.
      Some players has some sort of this feature included, and we try to keep video part of test
      smaller as possible... now is only a couple of megabytes... more than 95% of test file is
      uncompressed PCM audio.

- I would love to hear a small musical passage instead of the beats. A mono-frequency tone, with no change in volume, would be nice, and would let people evaluate the 'speed' of their system.
      Ah, this is also my idea, but for now, we may check usability of shaped tone burst testing...
      Shaped tone bursts are well known, but (possible) much more in world of professionals. Our intent is to bring up this nice test principle to some ordinary people.

- Try multi-frequency tunes, such as a simple song with notes only in the spectrum from 30hz - 40hz. It would be an interesting tool to spot the effects of room gains or nulls, if each note was supposed to be identical in volume.
      For this, we need advice, we aren't acousticians... :cry:

- Since you have video, how about the more common frequency sweeps, with a visual display of the current frequency being played? I've always wanted something like that.
      This proposal is good, we will see what we can do... to make new test or to include it
      in existing tests... this will take some time.

But, what other people think about all this?

- Lastly but not leastly, I would really love to see this in the mid and high freq versions mentioned on the site!
      Sorry, I read this today, version 0.8 is released yesterday.
      You can expect some modifications in version 0.9 of all tests

Thank you for your time,

Best regards,

-boggy
      BoZo Electronics

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"