X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Q for IB cult members

How do you guys avoid having your many $$$s worth of drivers being slowly ruined by dust, fiberglass or other nasties in the space you've stuffed them?

I've considered the idea in my house but the only place for the IB is in the basement firing up through the floor. Problem is my basement is also my shop and even though I have a dust collector system it does get dusty down there. I though about building a frame around the manifold & drivers with a sort of cloth wrapping, but it seems to me if it would provide sufficient airflow through the cloth then won't it let through dust?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Since the performance of the drivers isn't effected by dust it's not a big deal. You could certainly make a frame covered with grill cloth if you wanted....

If/when mine get dirty I just use a shop vac to clean them off

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Stoney
      • Dec 2004

If you crank them up loud enough, won't it shake all the dust off? :B
      I remember cranking a 16Hz signal through an old pair of Kenwoods and seeing a blast of dust blow out the ports.
      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
      DM602 S2 Surrounds
      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
      CC6 S2 Center.
      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• JoshK
        • Mar 2005

I am not worried about dust on the cone, but in the motor. Can't it get into the motor and cause ill effects?

Comment

• Stoney
          • Dec 2004

The motor should be protected by the spider. No real way for dust or debris to get into the VC gap.
          Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
          Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
          B&W DM605 S2 Mains
          DM602 S2 Surrounds
          DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
          CC6 S2 Center.
          ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
            • Sep 2005

Hi JoshK,

Your Q made me register on this great forum, and after lurking for several days I would start by saying hello to all of you.

I have no experience with the big IB construction apart from seeing them on the internet, but I think you can save the innerts of the drivers (the ones with vented pole pieces and/or perforated VC) from dust and particle penetration by using your cloth wrapping thing in combination with overpressurisation; i.e. attach a flexible tube and blow in fresh clean air (at least while you're busy in the woodshop).

Maybe it's been done before by other IB contenders. To my knowledge, putting a room on overpressure is used in various production processes like semiconductor and CD/DVD glassmastering.

Good Luck,

Gerald

Comment

• Stoney
              • Dec 2004

I didn't even think about vented pole/perforated VC (shows my inexperience). I agree that enclosing them or surrounding any vulnerable areas with grill cloth would be a good solution.
              Would pressurizing the room at the rear of the speakers effectively put a load on the cones and change their performance?
              Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
              Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
              B&W DM605 S2 Mains
              DM602 S2 Surrounds
              DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
              CC6 S2 Center.
              ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Bent
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2003

in addition to the pole vent, there are vent holes around the outside of the motor assy of my BP-1503 where stuff can get into it as well,
                you can see the voice coil in this picture through one of these holes

Image not available
                Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 13:51 Friday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• JoshK
                  • Mar 2005

Welcome Gerald! And thanks for the idea. It is an interesting one.

Comment

• Gerald Jansen
                    • Sep 2005

I don't expect to generate a lot of traffic, 'cause I'm too busy with all kinds of projects besides my dayjob and once I'm designing and building I don't take time to post the results or maintain a website. Yet...

But once I feel I can contribute I'll do so.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

From a practical standpoint I can tell you that in the 5.5yrs the "Cult" has been up and running, no one has reported any problems of this nature. And there certainly are drivers installed in some fairly hostile environments, this includes crawlspaces open to the outside.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonFo
                        • Oct 2005

One nice thing about an 'outie' IB config like mine (see my outie IB story ) is that the drivers are fairly shielded from dust.
                        However, I was concerned about moisture, so aluminium cones helped allay that fear.

But in general, I think these drivers are quite robust and don't really worry about it.

If something happens, then hey, an opportunity for an upgrade :W
                        Jonathan

Comment

• Dustin B
                          • Nov 2003

You could also build the manifold big enough to have all the motors on the inside and the cones facing your basement shop. No worries of dust from the shop then.
                          Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• JoshK
                            • Mar 2005

Strangest thing happened last night. I was surfing the web with my misses and thought I'd playfully show her the "cult of the ib"'s gallery. In particular, I showed her this picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	floor_opening_2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	944384

We have as I've mentioned before, a 1870's Victorian style row house. We have similar cast heater grates in our house and I said we should do the same thing. She thought it was a pretty good idea and agreed to allow me to do this. She just wants me to wait till I get some other stuff done (I have an overflowing plate right now) before I get started. I was floored, I thought there was no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that she would go for such an idea.

Now just what drivers do I want to use?.... hmm....the $400 4-pack IB15s looks pretty interesting.
                            Last edited by theSven; 07 July 2023, 13:52 Friday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"