X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

Tool Q

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a slide compount miter saw. For ~$650 one can get a 12" slide compound miter saw with laser tracking. Some of the choices include:

Hitachi (w/ laser, LCD)
    Bosch (w/ laser)
    Makita (w/ laser)
    DeWalt (no laser)
    Rigid (w/ laser)

The Rigid is the least expensive but the clamping mechanism for miter setting leaves something to be desired. The DeWalt is more ergonomic but doesn't have the laser which would be a really nice option and worth paying for if they are highly accurate. (ARE THEY?)

The Hitachi has a nifty looking LCD readout that displays bevel & miter angles, but I have not heard of Hitachi's reputation in tools. Are they any good?

Anything to consider? Features, brands, etc?

TIA,

Josh
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I believe the Makita is the top rated, but that may be due to its larger capacity (?)

I've been VERY happy with every Bosch I've owned, and Hitachi is no slouch.

The DeWalt mitre saws seem fairly ubiquitous and I think you really can't go wrong with that either.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2002

I haven't fiddled with any of the recent models but I'd go more on solid mechanical construction rather than features like lasers and LCDs. It should be easy to adjust (smooth mechanical action), nice smooth stroke and you should be able to twist on the head with most of your strength without the blade moving even a little bit out of alignment. The biggest problem I've had with cheap radial arm and compound miter saws is the blade starts to bind (maybe due to pilot error) and that torques the head out of alignment leading to a bigtime and potentially dangerous bind.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

What is your intended use? Sliding miters are great saws for framing and such, but are pretty limited for general cutting purposes.

Hitachi makes great tools. Jon has one of the Hitachi sliding miters and he likes it a bunch.

I've lusted after one of these but can't justify the purchase, since I have a 12" Delta radial (turret) saw that makes the same cuts but in larger pieces of wood, and occupies the same amount of floorspace.

If you do buy one do get one with the laser guide. I retro-fitted laser units to both my old 10" chopsaw and the radial saw. Doing so made some previously impossible cuts now possible (like free-handing an angle in a really big plank using the laser to track a hand drawn line ..... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Doing so made some previously impossible cuts now possible (like free-handing an angle in a really big plank using the laser to track a hand drawn line .....
          Ah Thomas, you must be one of those guys who leaves the guard on so you can't sight down the blade.

Rgds,
          Luddite Carpenter (still able to count 10 fingers)

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

When making the new baffles for the Arvos I need to cut an angle that I couldn't simply dial into the saw.

I hand scribed the needed line on the board. Then fired up the saw, and moved the board until laser line was superimposed on the scribed line. That allowed perfect alignment of the board with the track of the saw. I then clamped down the wood and made the cut.

There's no way I could have done this without the laser. Previously when I need to make a similar cut, I made one that was 'close', always oversized, then 'finished' it with a belt sander. Now the saw does all the work.....

Still with all my fingers and toes as well :wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

I took off all the guards on my saws too. Guess I like to live dangerously. Hell I do electrical on a live box still.

Comment

• autio
                • Mar 2005

I have the dewalt non slider 12" compound miter, When I first bought it I thought it was great well it isnt the hitachi 10 inch slider that I have used for the last couple years is quite a step up but I dont think it is as good as the mikita slider check them out at your local store and your will see the better build quality!!

Comment

• Marzen
                  • Jul 2005

Add on lasers are available for around $60 & up. I spent my do-dad money on a dust collection system.
                  What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

People can find the add-on lasers for chopsaws for $30 at Home Depot. The one's for radial arm saws are available here for $45. This is actually a better deal than the lower cost ones at Home Depot since it includes 3 sets of batteries

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JoshK
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Marzen
                      Add on lasers are available for around $60 & up. I spent my do-dad money on a dust collection system.
                      Yeah I think I'll go with build then and add on a laser if necessary. I already have a dust collector as my shop is in my basement.

Thanks guys for the tips, I need to ponder a bit what I want exactly. In about a year or two I will get my grandfather's 16" radial arm saw from my dad. My grandfather was a carpenter/gen.contr. and when he passed my dad got half his tools. My dad said that when he finishes building his house I can have the tools. RASs are bad!!

I have a cheap 8" miter already, but I thought a big sliding miter would be very useful for cabinet building and such, which I have some to do. I also was thinking that Jon's extreme modula cabinet cuts could mostly be done on a big slider, or am I too optimistic?

Comment

• dawaro
                        • Feb 2005

One thing you might consider when looking at the different brands is the warranty. As I understand it the Ridgid come with a 3 year warranty and a free lifetime service agreement that even covers wearable items like the brushes and motors.
                        I have a Ridgid table saw, 12' sliding miter, circular saw, reciprocating saw, and a couple of sanders. I have never had any issues with them and use them weekly with everything from speakers to kitchen cabinets. When I got mine they had a special offer on the lifetime warranty but I do not think that is still in affect.
                        I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JoshK
                          I have a cheap 8" miter already, but I thought a big sliding miter would be very useful for cabinet building and such, which I have some to do. I also was thinking that Jon's extreme modula cabinet cuts could mostly be done on a big slider, or am I too optimistic?
                          Do you have a table saw? For cabinet work I think a sled setup for a TS OR a RAS is going to be more versatile to a sliding mitre.

Having limited floor space makes me consider tools that are more flexible with add-ons (like a good table saw can be).

C

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Most of Jon's cuts were done using the sliding miter table attachment on his Ryobi table saw. This is far more useful thing than a sliding miter saw for cutting wide and or thick material.

If you have the space, adding a sliding miter table attachment to a table saw is a great thing to do, unless you have a RAS which makes the sliding table basically redundant

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JoshK
                              • Mar 2005

I am not going to get the RAS for probably 2 years, and in the mean time is when I need a solution. A sled or sliding miter attachment sounds like a fantastic idea and one I hadn't thought of. In fact I didn't know there was such a thing. Now just where to get one....

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Now just where to get one....
                                You build them or buy them, not exactly rocket science.....:wink:

I'm building one of these in a couple of weeks. I bought the steel bars that fit in the miter slots from my local Rockler store, they're $18ea. Many people just use strips of oak, I wanted something that wouldn't wearout in my lifetime...

Here's link to a pretty comprehensive article about building these...

================================================== ====

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Fine Woodworking also has an online video about getting the main fence on the sled *perfect* as far as square goes.

C

Comment

• Marzen
                                    • Jul 2005

FWIW, if you're doing cabinetry go for a tablesaw. You can build/buy most any jig you could need + make a removable extension table that doubles as a storage cabinet & router station, etc. I have a small basement shop, so space is at a premium. I have a smaller Craftsman tablesaw, added the extension cabinet, got a GOOD fence, made a sled, adjustable angle jig, & router table. Granted, I have a home made bandsaw & drill press; but hey - I'm a narcissistic masochist. Which makes me an oxymoron, which sounds about half right.

Comment

• Davey
                                      • Jan 2003

If you want something a bit fancier this one is a nice example. I think a nice sliding stop with an attached tape measure is really handy.

Davey.

Comment

• JoshK
                                        • Mar 2005

I already have a table saw (Ryobi), so I just need to make a sled. I looked up some sled plans just before Thomas posted but I like the ones he pointed to.

I need to try and find an attachment for my table that allows mounting of a router like Marzen says. I did look a bit but haven't turned up anything yet. I've probably just scratched the surface though.

Comment

• cjd
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2004

Get creative.

aluminum, 1/8" thick: 2" L, 3/4" L

1/2" MDF

Some nuts and bolts

Works SOOOO nicely. Uses the TS fence.

The 3/4" L is under the MDF: it runs the full width, and two of the router bolts pass through the aluminum (it's actually fit into slots cut into the MDF so it fits flush on the bottom).

Comment

• ThomasW
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2000

Get creative.
                                            I am creative, but can't figure out how it's attached to the car, welded, bolted, or glued? :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JoshK
                                              • Mar 2005

All of this is great stuff! Time to put the DIY back in DIY!

Comment

• cjd
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                I am creative, but can't figure out how it's attached to the car, welded, bolted, or glued? :B
                                                hehe... it relies on pure hormonal attraction.

Not bad for a factory color, eh? (or, really horrible, depending on your preferences) To be honest, the only folks that speak up about liking it are the teenage girls. Were I still their age. . .

Poor car gets covered in sawdust too regularly. Though I think I'll be commuting with it again shortly.

C

Comment

• JoshK
                                                  • Mar 2005

I thought I'd give an update to the forum for anyone who cares. I took the advice of you all and decided to invest more into my table. I was thinking of returning my Ryobi BTS15 table ($150 at the orange box) and getting a better model since it was since basically new. :evil:

I looked in craigslist and someone was advertising an almost new Rigid TS2424 (older version of 3650) for $300. I figure this can be a nice table to build a shop around with router table add-ons, etc.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

Word on the street is that you've bought a good saw .. :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cjd
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Dec 2004

Definitely a good saw.

I have the fold-up direct-drive Ridgid. Their fence is VERY good from the factory - best I saw. And it tucks away in my garage much better than anything else would.

C

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                                                        • Oct 2005

I have a Ridged 3650 table saw and I love it for the price. The 2424 is very similar.

I also bought a router table that fits perfectly to the rails and looks like a factory option once installed. Check it out here: http://www.mulecab.com/RouterTable/

Mule also makes a sliding table that I've heard good things about. That will be my next tool purchase.

Comment

• Marzen
                                                          • Jul 2005

Picked up a new toy on the way home. My first locking miter bit. I'm hoping it works with MDF, I'll find out this weekend.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                            • Aug 2004

Marzen, any luck with the bit and MDF. I would love to grab one if it works well.
                                                            ____________________
                                                            Erik
                                                            Just another case of the man trying to keep us down! :B

Comment

• Marzen
                                                              • Jul 2005

Yeah it worked ok for mdf, some minor random gaps (~1/16") at the edges which were easily filled. This was the Home Depot variety mdf, not the better grade, double ground birch. It did however work great on some solid white oak with a perfect knife edge. Hope that helps.
                                                              PS - someone has hacked your avatar - it looks like the sign of the devil :M

Ward
                                                              Cleveland

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"