X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

Peerless XLS12 W-baffle

I have a Phoenix setup with the XLS subs and I'm about to redesign them a bit. I have an extra four XLS (they were cheap ) on the way to my door as we speak. What I'm wondering is if I can mount them horisontally and that way get a slimmer (but taller) cabinet? Is there any risk of "sacking" and a possible reduction of Xmax? Are there any other possible drawback in doing this?

Jonas
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

There's a forumula I can't recall at the moment (4:45 AM and no coffee yet) regarding suspension compliance and cone mass which should answer your question- in general, with low Fs, high VAS drivers, this isn't a good idea... try to figure out something to keep them vertical- for a W baffle, it will work out about the same. I was considering four 12's each in a W style Beethoven grande "sub" at one time...

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jonasz
      • Nov 2004

Jon, are you still awake or are you up early?? :B

I can always stack two of the original ones but I think they will look bigger than they really are. I'm still single and personally I don't mind about the size of those things but I don't want to be single all my life... :W

I'm gonna build some Beethoven style panels to go with them too, so the whole system will occupy some space. Speaking about panels, I've sold the 8554's and bought W22's instead and I also have RS28 and H1212 to try out. I hope that's not a problem, but what IS a problem is all the woodworking, wich I don't have the skills nor the place to play around with so I need it to be "perfect" from the beginning. Jon, I know you want the tweeter to be placed asymmetrical on the baffle, will that require any retuning of the crossover?

Jonas

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Well, the reason for putting the tweeter up asymmetrically, is that it produces the smoothest on axis response from the tweeter if put in the "right" symmetric location. Symmetric locatios result in baffle boundary loading and diffraction issues stacking up, so you don't get quite as smooth a response- can't really fix that in the crossover, unless it's a really silly placement that you have to counter for. You should be OK.

I have a theory that it's better to have your big toys already when you meet someone, then to try to acquire them after marriage.... 'course, for some, that may be an issue at the early stages. I'm certainly not the guy to go to for advice there, as my personal luck more nearly resembles my avatar, sans the happy ending in episode 3.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
          I'm certainly not the guy to go to for advice there, as my personal luck more nearly resembles my avatar, sans the happy ending in episode 3.
          Yes yes yes... you've just not had that happy moment of discovery yet. :P He had two whole films of solitary glee before he found he could continue his mad ways and also be hitched!

Of course, we don't know the size of her shoe closet. . .
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I have a theory that it's better to have your big toys already when you meet someone, then to try to acquire them after marriage.... 'course, for some, that may be an issue at the early stages.
            This isn't theory, this is scientific FACT. Buy/build your huge speakers, install the BIG FPTV, get your exotic sports car, fill the garage with tools, THEN get married. Life will be sooo much easier if you do ....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
              This isn't theory, this is scientific FACT. Buy/build your huge speakers, install the BIG FPTV, get your exotic sports car, fill the garage with tools, THEN get married. Life will be sooo much easier if you do ....:wink:
              What?! Then your wife can't buy you all that stuff!

neener neener. :P :P :B

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

Dan Wiggins says drivers are okay for downfiring if they sag less than 5% of Xmax. For the XLS 12:

Cms = .46 mm/N
                Mms = .166 kg
                Multiply Mms by gravity 9.8 m/sec^2 --> 1.63 N
                1.63 * .46 = .75 mm sag
                Xmax = 12.5mm
                .75/12.5 = 6% sag

Probably not a good candidate although it's not too far past 5%. If you really need to mount them downfiring, you could build the W-frame as a separate piece and turn it over every few months so the drivers don't take on a permanent sag.

Comment

• Jonasz
                  • Nov 2004

Thanks Dennis! ;x(

I don't need to build it like that just thought it would look nicer with a tall slim cabinet instead of a lower wide one. But I guess the drivers health is more important than my own eyes pleasure...

My plan is to build a Beethoven like panel to match the sub. It will use 2 mids (W22) and a tweeter (H1212 or RS28 ) per panel. I'm also planning to prepare for two 10" woofers in the bottom of the same panel. These will be SS 8565 or RS10". I already have one pair of each and wich one I use depends on wich one a can get a decent deal on. If I will ever connect them I don't know, but if not, I'm sure they will look great! 8)

Jonas

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"