X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldbar
    • Sep 2005

Claritycaps SA Polypropylene 630V

Post #1
    Has anyone use the Claritycaps "SA Polypropylene 630V " at all and if so what are your opinions .I am thinking about using them in my 3way project thanks
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

The lack of responses is probably because no one on this board has tried these- they're from UK, and I've seen one or two people carrying them. My recollection is that the pricing is close to or higher than the film and foil caps I like to use in tweeter circuits, and my general experience is that even the best of metalized film caps don't compete with film and foil types (I use AudioCAP Theta's, but even PE has some fairl decent Datyton ones at relatively reasonable prices). I can say that I've never seen a metallized film cap compete in the critical electrical measurements (aside from the subjectivist issue). But, as they say, YMMV, it's probably best to evaluate for yourself under controlled conditions- and by controlled conditions, I mean with very good associated gear. HT recievers and film and foil caps are not a combo where the money is being invested in a balanced manner. But then, if the caps aren't too dear for your budget, who am I to say?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jeroen_d
      • Nov 2006

In the Netherlands we often use IT Audyn Cap Plus (MKP) and also the KPSN (film and foil). Most people prefer the metalized polyprop overhere and don't feel the more expensive KPSN offers higher fidelity.

I am using the ClarityCap SA for a couple of weeks now. It took for about half a week to break-in, but I'm very pleased with the sound now. More texture in the mid and softer in the highs when compared to Audyn Cap Plus.

I know, this is all very subjective, but that's what is asked for :W .

This site could be interesting for you. I haven't heard all the caps that are on this site but I can agree with Tony Gee about the caps I heard myself.
      Humble Homemade Hifi - Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions.

Comment

• JoshK
        • Mar 2005

Funny how these things work. Because in my small group of people who have tried Audio Cap Theta's, they refer to them as hard, clinical, brutal, etc. When they were over at my place last week I heard some "laid back", "smooth", nice, etc comments. I never told them that I am using Audio Cap Thetas.

Comment

• TurboFC3S
          • Nov 2006

They're actually pretty reasonably priced from e-speakers.com ... I've bought quite a few from there. I figured if they're good enough for Tony Gee, I'm sure they'll be good enough for my ears.

Comment

• jeroen_d
            • Nov 2006

Yes, very funny. Doing some A/B tests with your wife who is not knowing what you are doing can be very revealing.

Having said that, differences between caps shouldn't be exaggerated. The engineering of the complete system, including source and amplifier, is way more important than which cap you use.

Comment

• TacoD
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jeroen_d
              In the Netherlands we often use IT Audyn Cap Plus (MKP) and also the KPSN (film and foil). Most people prefer the metalized polyprop overhere and don't feel the more expensive KPSN offers higher fidelity.

I am using the ClarityCap SA for a couple of weeks now. It took for about half a week to break-in, but I'm very pleased with the sound now. More texture in the mid and softer in the highs when compared to Audyn Cap Plus.

I know, this is all very subjective, but that's what is asked for :W .

This site could be interesting for you. I haven't heard all the caps that are on this site but I can agree with Tony Gee about the caps I heard myself.
              http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Why did you dig up this thread? It looks like you're looking for an oppertunity to promote clarity cap and to plug the website from Tony Gee.

Comment

• jeroen_d
                • Nov 2006

-cut-
                Last edited by jeroen_d; 03 December 2006, 16:57 Sunday. Reason: deleted post to send private message

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TacoD
                  Why did you dig up this thread? It looks like you're looking for an oppertunity to promote clarity cap and to plug the website from Tony Gee.
                  Jeroen gives his enthusiastic opinion, and refers to the opinions of others. I'm happy he contributes to this forum, and gives us information that is in line with the topic. What is your contribution?

I've also compared the Clarity Caps to Audyn Cap Plus (and many others), and in my opinion the Audyn Cap Plus has more transparency, and a harmonic structure that is "right". Treble seems to integrate well with mid, and remains harmonic, without sacrificing brilliance.

The Clarity Cap is also a very good sounding cap, but it has a little veil over the treble, less transparent, and gives a bit of a "tube-like" treble. Very nice timbre, but depending on the music misses some bite. The differences are not huge, but subtle. I can imagine they match better with aggressive tweeters, or crossovers that have some emphasis on the treble.

My preference goes to the Audyn Cap Plus, but I could live with any of them. Price-wise, the Clariy Cap is much cheaper, so if budget is an issue, this is a very nice alternative.

There are other good caps as well, e.g. Jensen paper-in-oil (adds a nice type of harmonic distortion), General Electrics (close to the Aydyn Cap Plus).

Not so good in my opinion were the normal Audyn Cap, the Solen, Monacor and Wima (all MKP), and the thin foil. In another config I tried an expensive Mundorf, and I wasn't impressed as well.

This opinion was shared by many listeners. All of this is personal, and is not performed under scientific controlled tests.

Marc

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"