X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewbert
    • Aug 2005

Tivo upgrade....?

I have the 40hour one.... but I want more storage. I was going to use my wireless internet to transfer files over... but it takes WAY TOO LONG.... so I was wondering how hard it would be to add some memory to my tivo...I looked at this thread and I was wondering if I could use the same kit... my tivo is the newest tivo box....
    I just want to be sure as it would suck bad if I messed it up :cry:

also If this is in the wrong forum Im sorry....
    Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:16 Saturday. Reason: Update url
    -Drew
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I recommend asking the pros....

A forum community dedicated to TiVo digital video recorder owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about programming, streaming, content, schedules, home theaters, displays, models, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DarrenT
      • Jul 2005

Yup, I second ThomasW's suggestion. I went there for info on adding more capacity, adding a network card and cache card. I have one screamin' TiVo now
      Darren Thomas
      www.garagehobbies.com

Comment

• Drewbert
        • Aug 2005

sweetness. thanks guys!
        -Drew

Comment

• Interious
          • Jun 2005

receiver audio mods

Since Drewbert's question seems to be satisfactorily answered, I wonder if I could ask the gang about cable/satellite receiver audio modifications.

Lately my sole source has been Music Choice from an HDTV dual tuner Comcast (the antichrist) Motorola Cable box. The audio is basically clean, though veiled and softened. Some part of this may be the feed, but I'd like to either modifiy the box for maximum quality or find an audiophile grade Comcast box. Comments?

I've done quite a bit of searching on this and have been surprised to find virtually nothing. Perhaps I used the wrong search terms.
          Dave

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I doubt that anyone has bothered with modding the cable box since technically it's Comcast's properity.

SOP for anything like this is to start by replacing the caps in the audio circuit then go from there. To do this one must either have a schematic, or be able to literally 'read' the PCB and it's parts by visual inspection.

I haven't seen the guts of a recent cable/tuner box but it likely contains SMT devices. Those a VERY user hostile to modify given their extremely small package size and short lead length.

If you want to pay big bucks I imagine that one of the usual modding services would do the work. I'm leary about the cost vs perfromance ratio for that senario.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Wow, I didn't realize that it's been 2 years since I did that upgrade. 8O

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dennis H
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Aug 2002

I'm leary about the cost vs perfromance ratio for that senario.
                Yup, music from a cable or sat source is, at best, highly compressed MP3 quality. No matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, it's still a pig.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"