Experience with Accuton Ceramic Drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Experience with Accuton Ceramic Drivers?

Hi,

A local "semi professional" enthusiast makes up speakers to order from a range of higher end drivers from companies like Focal, Accuton, Cabasse etc. I heard a pair with two of the 5 inch Accuton mid bass and the Raven 1 tweeter and was impressed. This guy felt that the Accuton drivers were the best he had and was making up various options in 2 way and 3 way for people using, mostly Raven Ribbon tweeters... He also sells the drivers and Crossovers for DIY...

I was a bit worried about the directionality of the Raven tweeter, but liked what I heard a lot...

Some suggested systems were:

Two Way - C23-6 Tweeter with 2 x 5 inch C82-T6 Mid Bass
    Two Way - C23-6 Tweeter with 2 x 7 inch C95-T6 Mid Bass
    Three Way - C23-6 or C12-6 Tweeter, C44-8 2 inch Midange with 2 x 8 inch C220-T6 Bass

He also offered all of those with the Raven 1 Ribbon Tweeter and (just for confusion – with Focal Drivers instead (these aren't sold any more apparently)

Anyway - after some net searching I have the impression that Accuton is "up there" in the high end (with matching prices). But that not too many people use them - especially in DIY systems. Any advice as to why (ie is it the price or is their better value out there?

Geoff
  • TacoD
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2004

I have experimented with the C95-T6 used for a friend of mine, those accuton (called Thiel & Partners in Europe) are used in many high-end solutions. And an all Accuton line-up will not dissapoint if you like the bright presentation.

My experience is that the LF is very good, and that cone resonances are well controlled for such a stiff cone. But in my expierence the woofer is a bit to transparent, it sounds hifi-sch. I always compare it to a picture with a sharpened filter applied.

In stead of Accuton I would suggest Seas Excel with magnesium cones. Also not cheap but if you use steep x-overs it will sound more natural.

Comment

• AndrewM
      • Oct 2000

Anyway - after some net searching I have the impression that Accuton is "up there" in the high end (with matching prices). But that not too many people use them - especially in DIY systems. Any advice as to why (ie is it the price or is their better value out there?
      I think it's mostly due to price, or perhaps a better way to say it is that the price/performance ratio is rather low.

Here's one design that I had come across at some point - http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Soup.html

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        Hi,

A local "semi professional" enthusiast makes up speakers to order from a range of higher end drivers from companies like Focal, Accuton, Cabasse etc. I heard a pair with two of the 5 inch Accuton mid bass and the Raven 1 tweeter and was impressed. This guy felt that the Accuton drivers were the best he had and was making up various options in 2 way and 3 way for people using, mostly Raven Ribbon tweeters... He also sells the drivers and Crossovers for DIY...

I was a bit worried about the directionality of the Raven tweeter, but liked what I heard a lot...

Some suggested systems were:

Two Way - C23-6 Tweeter with 2 x 5 inch C82-T6 Mid Bass
        Two Way - C23-6 Tweeter with 2 x 7 inch C95-T6 Mid Bass
        Three Way - C23-6 or C12-6 Tweeter, C44-8 2 inch Midange with 2 x 8 inch C220-T6 Bass

He also offered all of those with the Raven 1 Ribbon Tweeter and (just for confusion – with Focal Drivers instead (these aren't sold any more apparently)

Geoff

I've worked with a few of the Accuton drivers, particularly the C23-6 and C44. The C44 was quite nice, quite pricey. The C23-6 is also pricey, has a fairly neutral sound, but didn't measure as well as the published data.

The MkII "Unorthodox Eight Inch Two Way" was done with Eton 8-800 and C23-6.

I think Accuton makes some very good cone systems with their alumina based ceramics, but I"d be real curious to see some detailed testing nonlinear distortion at low frequencies and in the midrange on some of their midwoofers. They are quite fragile and require special grilles for safety.

Ravens have a very good reputation, but ribbons don't like low crossover frequencies, and this will make the crossover a bit of a challenge, if you want to keep cone modes at -50 dB or better.

It would also be interesting to see linear and non-linear distortion testing on the Ravens.

I had to postpone my plans to buy Praxis due to my recent projector and Acura acquisitions, but that's back up near the top of my list again.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by AndrewM
          I think it's mostly due to price, or perhaps a better way to say it is that the price/performance ratio is rather low.

Here's one design that I had come across at some point - http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Soup.html
          On Dutch fora some people are building this design, I have heard several speakers (not this one) from the designer Tony and personaliy I do no like his designs. He uses series-filters (nothing wrong with that), and most of the time he doesn't supress cone-breakups or compesates for BS.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by TacoD
            On Dutch fora some people are building this design, I have heard several speakers (not this one) from the designer Tony and personaliy I do no like his designs. He uses series-filters (nothing wrong with that), and most of the time he doesn't supress cone-breakups or compesates for BS.

Owww, I get a headache just thinking about what that would sound like....

Series filters are OK with the right techniques, but cone breakups or lack of BSC is another mattter!
            :roll:
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• AndrewM
              • Oct 2000

Interesting, I never built anything he designed, I just found it a long time ago looking for DIY designs using a Focal tweeter. But yea, I could see what you're saying there, especially considering the drivers he's used in the past (like the Acuton or the SS8545).

Andrew

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

I have actually seen a number of people in the DIY realm use Accutons recently but seems the rationale has been alure or "they sound good" without any testing to speak of. I am a bit skeptical when I read such designs. Like why aren't they testing the drivers, etc?

They could be great but they are pricey so they should also have a pull more than just looks and elusiveness.

Re: ribbon tweeters, it seems that some of the more logical designs using ribbon tweeters used a dome mid and traditional woofer also, which lets them work up higher and still maintains proper c-t-c distances. It adds costs and complexity but then again ribbon tweeters typically already add cost, so we are already out of the budget realm of things.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"