X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DearS
    • Jul 2005

MT to Dipole upgrade path

I'm looking to get an MT set and upgrading it when the capita is available to a dipole. the easy way. that is copy one of Jon's or somebobies design. any one know of any available designs.
    http://joy2meu.com/
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I can't think of a direct from here to there example that would work as you want, but the principle isn't far off.

OTOH, I'd note that converting to dipole, depending on the crossover frequency you choose to the woofers, you may need a little more "oomph" than what a single 7" would give you. But it's easy to add drivers.

I'd consider doing something like the Modula MT, maybe with an H1212, then add another Rs180 and something on the bottom end (like TC2+).

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

FWIW, I will be doing some dipole experiments with the same drivers I'm working into the large WWMTM (RS 3-way) tower's we're working on. I'll be setting up one of each, and sliding the drivers into place such that (hopefully) it'll be near exact positioning of the mic, which should give an interesting parallel between output numbers and response and whatnot.

Soon as I get those drivers. And build a box and a couple baffles. Which reminds me, I have yet to e-mail Brian to get final pricing on what I still need including shipping and whatever else is required. (2 RS270's 4 RS180's 2 RS28A's).

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DearS
        • Jul 2005

I have not plans to do a dipole design myself. I assumed crossover design needed some mics and soundeasy software. but perhaps thats not the truth.

I'm looking to see whats out there and clone it. and adding mids was always part of the plan. just hope to have cheaper initial MT costs.

thanks.

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Probably not a whole lot cheaper - maybe a little if you end up purchasing fewer drivers up front, but your plans really are to build one speaker, cannibalize just the drivers (and if you're lucky maybe some crossover parts) later to build a totally different speaker.

As such, I would say, build, enjoy, and just start fresh later.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• DearS
            • Jul 2005

that too I'm considering. although I have lots of interests, and little money. or not enough money currently to go in all directions I'd like to. I'm trying to balance the interests I love. while preserving my life and peace of mind. so I take that into consideration. although enjoying building things, researching, learning, making time, taking time off, completely letting go, etc etc....is a way of life.

plus what a decision. knowing how much I love watching anime with really good sound, then knowing I have some power to fulfill that interest, while knowing I need to value my efforts and time, plus not get corrupted (i'm impolsive), plus throwing in other very important intestests. its great that I have so much I care for, but geesh......I'm just getting used to caring so much and feeling responsible enough, then I'm faced with letting it go, so I can care about the rest of me. Its interesting. but I'm going to look our for my emotional health, which is hard to do when you're used to being impulse desicion prone.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"