X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beau
    • Apr 2005

HiVi 12 incher

Anyone used the m12 from this range? Specs look promising but I am looking for real world experience..
    Tia Beau
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

So are we... so little time, so many drivers.

Knew about this one for a long time before it's finally turned up "orderable" by any one. Still isn't available at PE. Looks to be amazingly clean up to 1 kHz, which means a nice three way with a highish crossover point should be doable. Xmax is a bit low for dipole, unless you use a lot of them.

I may still go with these for new bottem ends (instead of RS270) to work with the rebuilt X1 SLAMM modules I'm updating (RS180s or Peerless 883's for midwoofers).

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DearS
      • Jul 2005

X1-slamm modules, do you mean like Wilson or Focal utopia?
      http://joy2meu.com/

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DearS
        X1-slamm modules, do you mean like Wilson or Focal utopia?
        Here are the X1 SLAMMs Jon made: http://www.mclink.it/com/audiomatica...cock/slamm.htm

Comment

• DearS
          • Jul 2005

talk about DIY. nice going.

before I say WOw and Cool about the sound.

are these a good bit beyong the modula's Sound (reproduction) Quality?where does the Arvo Pärt MkIII stand?

well I looked up some dipole reviews/comments. and they seem to point to the Arvo type speakers as some of the best. sounds really nice.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

A few years ago Jon and I decided to assist each other with the design and construction of a special project we each were interested in. Jon chose the X-1 SLAMM, I chose the Legacy Audio Whispers. These were very interesting speakers to klone, and lessons learned from both designs were incorporated into our subsequent DIY offerings.

The Arvo Part is the cream of the crop as far as our posted DIY projects. It's also the most expensive and most complicated, so it's in a different league from the Modula designs. The Arvo has gone through a couple incarnations. The only fully tested design is that using the M8a midwoofs and the SS9800 tweeters.

For future versions of the Arvo Jon's looking at possible midwoofer and tweeter changes. But given his work schedule any changes in the design are many months away.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• DearS
              • Jul 2005

thanks a lot for the reply. thats what I was hoping the truth to be.

seing new versions of the Arvo sounds cool. a new Arvo is icing on the cake. but I'll see what turns up.

Comment

• Beau
                • Apr 2005

Hmmm, may be time to dip my toes into the waters of HiVi land. Judging by what Ive seen on this board with the m8A drivers I cant go too wrong...
                John / Thomas, would you say it would match well to my mid of choice (seas m15ch)? 90db sens, high passed at 250hz-ish? From what I can see of the FR graph, there is only one major resonance that shouldnt be too hard to filter out on the m12, it would be well above the passbnd anyway so a gentle roloff for the high end should do the job. Whaddya reckon?

Beau.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Well, it depends on what you mean by "gentle". I like to see those woofer peaks down by 40+ dB, sometimes that takes "stern" measures. I'd just recommend keeping that target in mind. The sensitivity is certainly up there, and you should have a lot of flexibility chosing a crossover point.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JoshK
                    • Mar 2005

I think someone who knows someone at PE should give them a gentle knudge that they should make the M8a one of the upcoming deals of the day! I know that there was a fair amount (including myself) of snatching up of the RS180 and RS28a when they were DOTD because of the Modula projects. Maybe we can get a deal of the day on the M8a.

Otherwise, how many might be interested in a group purchase of some M8a? I am in for 4. I know Jon is testing the Peerless for replacement in the Arvo Part and we are awaiting the results of that outcome. So I guess we can wait a bit longer to know, but assuming it isn't what we hoped, who would be in? Or maybe we will get a GP going for the Peerless if it pans out?

Comment

• buffhr
                      • Jul 2005

So what drivers would you choose m8a or rs180??

Comment

• DearS
                        • Jul 2005

well heres some comparison of the two. actually RS 8" and m8, plus some others.

"In the top tier the Seas w21, Dayton prototype RS250, and SS8554. In the second tier, the HiVi M8a, then M8n. The bottom tier contains the Vifa P21 and the Silver Flute 8".

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by buffhr
                          So what drivers would you choose m8a or rs180??
                          That's a bit of an apples to oranges question, an 8" midwoofer or 7". The RS180 is by far my favorite low cost (under $100) 7" midwoofer, but you really need two to get SPLS in the neighborhood I like. The RS225 8" is more direct competition to the M8a- it has that first cone mode at 1.5 kHz, though it has a very nice bottom end. In a two way, the RS225 needs to cross around 1 kHz IMO, which eliminates a lot of tweeters....

~Jon
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"