X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buffhr
    • Jul 2005

TangBang 3 way

First off id like to say to everyone who post on here in the diy section, i admire you, ive been reading this mb for quite a long time and have learned alot thx guys.

Now with that out of the way, heres the big thing i used to own paradigms monitor 11's, had to get rid of them when i mooved in with the gf... space issues. And now we just mooved into a house and have lots of rooms for speakers. The thing is saf is a very big thing(ya i know but the couch gets boring :rofl: ). And well shes set on multiple driver speakers like those monitor 11 were.

Ive searched the net and havent fallen on any kits/builds quite in that region cept the 3 way dayton ref that cjd/brian have been working on. And well id mostly like to be able to buy the drivers within canada, as duty fees are outrageous/shipping and all that blah blah is outrageous. So does anyone know of any kits in that region that i could look into, My budget is of arround 700$ us.

Or heres what i was planning on mostly.

6 x W5-1138sa(3x pairs parralled,2/2/2, seried to 6 ohm)
    4 x W3-871s (2 x pairs final load = 8 ohms
    1 x 28-847S or 25-302S

would be crossing over to the 871s at arround 400 hz
    box design would be 3.6 cu total 3 foot for the 1138s tuned to 35 hz and a sealed partition to house the 4 871s and tweet of .6 cube. Was thinking about 9x55x17-20 (wd/ht/dp in)depending on bracing and stuff

As for the xo i have no idea really as of yet, needa get a modeling program and learn to use it, or might go just text book values with a zobel.. not too sure as modeling programs are expensive...

What these would be used for would be music/HT 60/40
    but about 50% of the music listening is just very casual.
    Any commenst suggestion are more then very welcomed.
    thx for looking and your input.

Hailan
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

The Modula MTM, Modula MT and Natalie P discussed here would certainly all sound MUCH better and the design work is already done. There's some flexibility in building enclosures that are girlfriend friendly if she doesn't like the Parts Express boxes. With grills on the front, she doesn't need to know what's behind the grill anyway.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Have you checked out the availability of the PE drivers for you? My understanding is that things work out well if you remember to specify USPS shipping (think that's what you need to do?), and given the tremendous bang for the buck they offer I would say it's worth any headache.

What's your budget? 3-ways go up in price on the crossover quite quickly since it's twice as much crossover and MUCH bigger components in it to boot.

If you don't want something quite as massive as the 3-ways we're currently working on I have smaller ones designed as well.

FWIW, my experience with Tang Band is that they're best left in the parts bin. Good at best, but just good, within their price range.

I believe you may also have access to some of the Adire stuff.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• buffhr
        • Jul 2005

Thx for the reply guys

Dennis, ya i was concerned about soundQ, thx for the input, as for whats behind the grills well i hate grills.. And im looking into floorstanding not stands..

Cjd, was hopping youd post,

1: budget is arround 750$ us(1k cdn), your 3 way would be pushing my budget boudryes.. but things can always be worked round i guess.

2:Ya i have acess from pretty much anything cept the dayton line here in canada(www.solen.ca).

3: Im not necessarilly looking into a 3 way but floorstanders with least 3-5 drivers depending on size.(e.g 5 x5in, 3x8in 0r maybe 4x rs180..), But also open to suggestions.

4:Id be interested in seeing or having briefs description of your prev projects, as from what i seen here on the boards i really admire your work and dedication ;x(

5:Thx alot for your time

Hailan

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Parts Express will ship to you - I think the only thing you want to do is make sure to specify USPS.

I have a project that's slightly downsized from the big 3-ways, using the RS225/RS150/RS28A (WWMT) that's also lower budget and the option to go ported in an almost reasonably sized box. I think it may be up your alley budget-wise, but it's still the Dayton stuff which, if that's truly out of the picture for you, doesn't help any.

There are, however, a LOT of truly excellent designs out there. You may be able to do one of the Hi-Vi projects, or a completely new one. If PE has published data, it is possible to put together a reasonably accurate crossover without using real measurements from the final box. Otherwise, it takes measuring - any ability to do something like this at all?

Peerless also has some great midrange and woofer options. With Hi-Vi or Peerless, I think I would give the nod to the Seas 27TDFC tweeter (it's also a sensible option in any of the Dayton packages as it's quite competant, sounds wonderful, and *is* about 40% less expensive.)

C

Comment

• buffhr
            • Jul 2005

thx alot for the great info chris. I reviewed your project posted for the rs225 and its very interesting specially with the rs28.

As for using the PE ref series ill tempt my faith and see how bad duties and stuff will come back and byte me in the @... might not be so bad afterall.

But ill be waiting to see some finished data on the rs270 3 way youve been working on i might be able to pull that off as well(just bought a new couch yesterday it needs some breaking in :rofl: )

As for mesuring no go on that as well.Main reason for diy is for looks, A lot of drivers is sexeh! or so lissa says lol

As for box size/req only constraint really is 14 1/4wide baffle or less and the speakers are going to be placed close to a wall.

The main reason i was using multiple drivers prior was also for amp load as im using a receiver(kenwood vr5090 not the best but suits me good) and its rated stable at 6 ohms its pushed 4 ohms loads before without a hickup but not sure if the impedance dropped as low as 3 ohms. Kinda scares me a little building speakers that would end up costing me round 1500$ in my own currency(cdn) and need to invest another 1k orso on something to drive them.
            So maybe these projects aenrt what i should be looking at unfortunatly...

thx a bunch
            Hailan

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by buffhr
              The main reason i was using multiple drivers prior was also for amp load as im using a receiver(kenwood vr5090 not the best but suits me good) and its rated stable at 6 ohms its pushed 4 ohms loads before without a hickup but not sure if the impedance dropped as low as 3 ohms.
              Uh... the RS 3-way project as it's moving currently is probably NOT going to be receiver friendly. Unless I have some crazy brainstorm to deal with the impedance dip at the mid/tweet crossover point.

Also, I may be doing a revision of the WWMT with the 225/150 combo.

C

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2001

Chris,

Keep forgetting to ask, but do you have a link to the various projects you've got "completed" on your website? I can never seem to find them.

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                  Chris,

Keep forgetting to ask, but do you have a link to the various projects you've got "completed" on your website? I can never seem to find them.
                  Nope. See, I do web stuff all day and just never have the interest in doing a thing to my own. Which is why my portfolio is mostly high-school work still, and the basic scheme hasn't changed in 6 years. :P

Some day.

C

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"