X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andy2
    • Jul 2005

Fighting cabinet resonace

I've just finished building a pair of semi-dipole speaker. There seems to be resonance that materialize itself as a midbass hum that makes male or female voice sound a little heavy or nasal though just a little.

The dimension of the internal size is 360 x 540 x 254 mm. The cabinet is made of 1 3/16 mdf thick so I don't think the problem is from cabinet flex.

I put some extra stuffings right behind the driver and it helps a little but make the bass weaker.

Here are a few pictures of the speaker:
    Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

• GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

Wow, nice speakers.

Cant help with the resonance problem. I'm experimenting with cement on MDF right now but havent heard it yet.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

How about providing some specifics regarding the crossover?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

If that's an Acapella clone, you probably should have stuck with Troels' cabinet design. He put a lot of work into eliminating such resonances in both the dipole and ported sections using non-parallel walls, etc.

That said, if the resonance is coming from the lower bass section, stuffing should help. It will do more good on the box walls (right, left, top, bottom, front, back) than right behind the driver. Leave a clear path between the driver and the port.

If it's coming from the dipole mid section, you'll probably need to make the wings smaller. Those are pretty deep for a midrange and I'd expect a cavity resonance that can't really be damped without losing the dipole behavior.

Comment

• andy2
          • Jul 2005

Dennis,

It is indeed the Acapella SE from Troels' design.

I don't think the resonance come from the side panels because when I disconnect the bass, I couldn't hear any. Although it's possible that the side panels vibrate because of the bass unit.

Comment

• andy2
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
            How about providing some specifics regarding the crossover?
            Please check Troels website for the xover design or you could follow one of the link in the above post.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"