X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlakeN
    • Jul 2005

Ported ava 15" for HT Help

I did a search for avalanche and read all the threads that came up but none had my answer. If I overlooked something feel free to post links and say "look here dummy" :T

Now, on to the good stuff. I have an ava 15" and I want to build a 100% ht sub. Size is not an issue. Room dimensions are 13"x20"x8" closed door. I have thrown around all sorts of Ideas in modeling software but to be honest I am still completely undecided.

Here are the sizes and tunings I have on the top of my list.

7^3ft @ 16Hz
    10^3ft @ 16Hz
    5^3ft @ 20Hz
    and at one time I was even considering 14^ft @ 12Hz

Low is more important than lowed to me. I have a wife and a live in a townhouse.

Please someone help me!
    Last edited by BlakeN; 22 July 2005, 22:52 Friday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Unless you enjoy lugging around a 500+lb box you might want to consider something a bit smaller. The design in the link below has been copied numerous times with good success
    AS-15

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BlakeN
      • Jul 2005

I was going to go with a sonotube design to cut down on the weight. I will be ordering a 6" flared port from my local dealer even though it will run about $60 (ouch) for the ends.

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Good luck on finding the flare(s) - apparently there are still some around...
        But my contact has sold all of his, and I'm getting the urge to build again. :T

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Here's a tube version of the AS-15 I built for my friend Pete

Ben,

Word is that any lightning audio dealer can order the flares, have them use part number PNR6BK-PT

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BlakeN
            • Jul 2005

I actually contacted lightning audio to make sure they were in production, which they are. Then contacted my local dealer. Of course he said he couldn't get anything like a 6" flare. So I asked him if his store was an authorized lightning audio dealer. He said they were so I gave him the part number and after about 3 minutes of looking through his book he finally found them. This was about 2 months ago.

Tom, I have looked at that design on several occasions. My question is what do you think the optimal internal volume and tuning frequency is for this particular speaker. I modeled the bp 1503 in that box to get an idea of what it is theoretically doing in that setup. The ava 15 performs quite a bit differently. After some experimenting it looks like an ava 15 in 9^3 @ 16hz performs about the same as the bp 1503 in that setup.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"