X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madclown99
    • Jul 2005

Which kit should I cut my teeth on?

Hi, complete newbie here to the world of DIY audio. After much research and reading, I'm going to build my first set of speakers. It'll be 80/20 HT/music. Adire has a lot of backers for their kits, as does GR... I've read reviews/comparisons between GR Research and Adire speaker based kits.

What I haven't read are comparisons/reviews between the Modula MTMs here and the Adire speaker based kits (from Raw Acoustics, DIYCable, etc.). Anyone want to comment or suggest?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Well, it's sort of a different thing- we're not selling anything here, not offering turn-key kits or whatever- maybe you would say we're for the more hardcore DIY crowd? And becasue we're not selling anything or promoting anything commercially, there's no effort to get internet based reviewers to review something...

Most of my personal interest is in larger, more complex systems, but I've done these other designs (and use them myself, too) for those who'd like a moderate cost speaker employing the same thinking and design concepts. Besides the Modula MTM, a few folks have built the Natalie P (lower cost approach to the crossover) and been quite pleased. That and the Elaine Marie grew out of the system design I did for my daughter in 2003.

If you're not feeling adventurous, and want everything delivered in one box, then go with one of the commercial kits. If you want to take a bigger step into DIY, but aren't ready to design for yourself yet, then maybe one of the projects here will interest you.

For more insight into my own design philosophy, the M8a "Unorthodox Eight Inch Two Way" article series in AudioXpress fall of 2003 covers a lot of bases. But much of that is covered in one place or another here on HT Guide, too. It really comes down to finidng drivers with low intrinsic distortion, using them in their pistonic range (which requires low crossover points), and developing practical crossovers to deliver the desired results.

And welcome to DIY and HT Guide!

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• thylantyr
      • Nov 2004

There is the brute force method that almost guarantees
      success.

Build them all and sell the ones you don't like :twisted:

Comment

• jdybnis
        • Dec 2004

I'd say the most important thing for a first project is to choose one you know you can complete without being completely frustrated. If you've never done any woodworking before you might want to build a kit that offers pre-cut baffles.
        -Josh

Comment

• dawaro
          • Feb 2005

I would definitely recomend the Modula MTM or MT. The fact that they were designed around the pre-fab enclosures at Parts Express really help. In the last two weeks I have completed both versions and absolutely love them.
          I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by thylantyr
            There is the brute force method that almost guarantees
            success.

Build them all and sell the ones you don't like :twisted:

Now there's a man after my own heart...

When the Stryke HE-15 came out, there was a lot of "discussion" (some would say controversy) over what was the best enclosure to use it in. Thomas and I built and tested both the Stryke cube with PR's and the Aerial Stryke design (ported box I came up with) before choosing what we wanted to go with.

True benchmarking, as opposed to bench racing.

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• madclown99
              • Jul 2005

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I think I'm going to wait a little longer to maybe build the 3way project being discussed here. I LOVE the flow of info at this site without the commercial fluff! A big thanks to Jon and the owners/mods from this humble Newbie!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"