X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morbo
    • Nov 2004

Thoughts on this dipole speaker

Uses one of the super pricey Aura subwoofers, I think the midbasses are peerless. Looks like the top compartment is sealed, and only the woofer is dipole?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Looks like the top compartment is sealed, and only the woofer is dipole?
    Yep.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Interious
      • Jun 2005

Interesting design.

Coincidentally, I was recently wondering whether that 4 - midbass orbiting tweeter configuration was feasible.
      Looks like it is. It looks like the arrangement is rotated about 30
      degrees. Wonder why?

Comment

• jdybnis
        • Dec 2004

Something must be wrong with me. I scrolled down to the bottom of that page I thought $12k, that's a damn low price for those speakers. Not that I would ever buy $12k speakers. Just hi-fi is just a crazy place. :
        -Josh

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

I thought "$12K - I can build anything conceivable for home use for that"

Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I looked up his patent. The mids are rotated about 26 degrees so they are evenly spaced horizontally and vertically.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

I've seen this design before, about a year ago- it's a controlled directivity array, kind of like what Dunston did with the Legacy Whisper, though differing in the specifics. Since the upper section isn't dipole, he has to do something like that to get similar dispersion/power response through directivity control- off axis cancellation. I suspect rotating it around the axis must improve the uniformity in the main listener area for some reason.

Curious if it's been patentable- I don't think it would hold up, it's relativel obvious based on prior art.

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• DIY_newbie
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                I've seen this design before, about a year ago- it's a controlled directivity array, kind of like what Dunston did with the Legacy Whisper, though differing in the specifics. Since the upper section isn't dipole, he has to do something like that to get similar dispersion/power response through directivity control- off axis cancellation. I suspect rotating it around the axis must improve the uniformity in the main listener area for some reason.

Curious if it's been patentable- I don't think it would hold up, it's relativel obvious based on prior art.

~Jon
                LOL, Everything is patentable these days untill its challenged Jon.. FYI: Amazon.com has patented "one click shopping" under business practice. So all other websites even if they save your credit card info have to take atleast "2 clicks" to checkout.. Amazon has already sued people over this and its held up since they have high-priced lawyers...

--Chris

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

And now for something completely different.

The Alon Phalanx

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• morbo
                      • Nov 2004

LOL That is hilarious, never seen a speaker whose baffle is designed on the universal ideal bust-waist-hips ratio before!

Comment

• Hank
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jul 2002

Now THAT was funny, Morbo! :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"