spreading in cyberspace because people want the higher
    SPL with their SQ, and it seems less people are interested
    in making a higher SQL {SPL + SQ} system using
    conventional designs {ie, 3 way} to compete with the
    bigger line array in terms of impact {make sense ?} 8O
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I have to speculate about line arrays and SPL issues- seems like half the projects I see (especially at PE forum) are for line arrays with a bazillion cheap drivers- they will play loud, but if the driver isn't particularly linear at lower levels, even (often the case), there only real "advantage" is that they'll play loud...

Now, Line source speakers, properly implemented, may have some very desirable characterstics, particularly operating in quasi-nearfield over a wide range in a typical room, with SPL fall off that doesn't follow the normal square law with distance, but at half that rate. Problem is, maintaining that behavior over a wide frequency range, especially if you have tall ceilings and can't count on ceiling images to extend the LF response. In many cases, you can only tune the line array for smooth frequency respponse at one effective listening distance- at father distances, mids and trebel will predominate; closer, they'll be heavy in the lower midrange and bass.

Now, regarding tweeter linearity and favorite drivers, there's been a ton of discussion here, regarding many drivers, so the search engine at the forum is your friend...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• thylantyr
      • Nov 2004

I did search and got many hits on different tweeters.
      Of those which one has the most SPL capability without
      self destruction or compression :B :T

Comment

• AndrewM
        • Oct 2000

I have some older Focal TLR's I'll let go for a reasonable price...as long as you want the rest of the "kit" and spares I have with it

Andrew

Comment

• thylantyr
          • Nov 2004

I have to speculate about line arrays and SPL issues- seems like half the projects I see (especially at PE forum) are for line arrays with a bazillion cheap drivers- they will play loud, but if the driver isn't particularly linear at lower levels, even (often the case), there only real "advantage" is that they'll play loud...
          The way I view a line array is simple. Just like any other
          design it has it's own sonic signature, some love it, others
          don't.

The second issue is driver choice. There is nothing wrong
          with using cheap drivers if the design is well executed but
          you may not get the sound level you want while keeping
          distortion low. But if you make an array you can boost the SPL but keep distortion low. Someone on Diyaudio.com
          wanted to make a headphone driver line array - :rofl:
          I think it would be a fun project just because it's odd.

The NSB 49 cent drivers are famous on PE and
          Diyaudio.com because they sound good with one simple
          mod. Coat the cones to make it sound better. If you are
          a good DIY'er make a phase plug out of wood, if you want
          to kill someone with SPL insert coolant. I tried all these
          mods, the results are 'eye opening' for a 49 cent driver.

I wouldn't use this driver in a normal system because
          I want more SPL and low distortion and one of them isn't
          going to give me that, but place 16 of them in a line array
          and port the box and you have some interesting results
          that will amaze the natives :T

I had some un-trained people comment that they sounded
          like a $100 to $200 driver. :?? ... It just goes to show you that people percieve SQ differently.

I built the NSB/PT2 arrays for a friend and I'm still
          tweaking the SQ with the Behringer and I using high
          powered amp to drive it at low impedance. I'm too picky
          to properly judge the sound quality but I think I can satisfy
          most people with the sound. Nobody has complained yet
          during audition and the system was not tuned yet. I need
          to get the cheap measuring system up and running.

I think it's better to judge the loudspeaker system as a whole {source, amp, speaker, installation} than just assume
          a 49 cent speaker can't possible sound good.

I think a Death Star array with 300 NSB's with coolant
          would be cool ... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Final thoughts. I wouldn't use the NSB/PT2 array as my reference system because I have my own crazy demons
          that are never satisfied and I have to resort to stranger
          designs to kill the evil demon :evil:
          Last edited by ThomasW; 16 June 2005, 20:40 Thursday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by thylantyr
            I did search and got many hits on different tweeters.
            Of those which one has the most SPL capability without
            self destruction or compression :B :T
            At what price? And keep in mind that one tweeter may more linear out around 110 dB because it hasn't quite run out of Xmax at 1 kHz, but be LESS linear overall at 106 dB, because it has more inductance modulation- which is more important to you? Oh yeah, and price? :W

Seriously, you do have to define your priorities carefully.

Budget bargains like the 27TDFC and H1212 really give the Millenium Excel a very good run for the money- especially does the RS28A- just look at some of the distortion overlay plots/comparisons.

But if you can crossover higher, say, 2500 (which I'm sceptical of for anything other than a dome mid), then a TC120dx2 will give an awful lot of output while staying clean. There's a reason Wilson Audio has used those for years. I wouldn't run them below about 1.8 kHz, even with my fancy-schmancy CE filter crossovers. Of course, you can't get those anymore- sometimes I'm glad when we buy a small stock of something we think of as special...

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• thylantyr
              • Nov 2004

Do you remember that ancient Focal T120 fiberglass dome?
              Then they obsoleted it in favor of Kelvar? Well, have those ancient tweeters and there is an uncanny good sound from
              that fiberglass tweeter, even today I was checking it out again. Without any exotic filtering, sounds awesome and
              beats the kelvar hands down without exotic filtering when I
              did auditions with it. Everyone picked the fiberglass.

Point is, you mentioned a good tweeter from Focal and it's
              not available, deja-vu... What is the story with Focal,
              are they selling technology not sound quality :rofl:

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

I have to disagree a bit...

Hi Jon,

Your comments regarding line arrays with the typical implementation of a lot of very inexpensive drivers with cheap dome tweeters is right on but a properly designed array following Jim Griffins white paper doesnā€™t suffer from any of the issues youā€™ve indicated. Rick Craig worked with Jim on the original Linus design and itā€™s grown to super high end designs from there.

Iā€™ve had many speakers over the years including ones that were considered high end by the audio community and my Omegarrays absolutely blow them away. I also wouldnā€™t trade them for any of the di-pole, electrostatic or high end 3-way designs Iā€™ve listened to either. Several of those designs are considered to be some of the best currently available.

Some of the benefits of a properly designed array include ultra low distortion, effortless dynamics and incredible detail. Yes, they can get very, very loud effortlessly but the real beauty is when you listen at normal volumes. Nearfield listening draws you into the music and makes you a part of the live performance better than any point source that Iā€™ve ever heard. Yes, I can set at different distances if I choose and still have the same effect. They werenā€™t ā€œtunedā€ for my listening position or my room.

Like all speakers, they benefit from getting them set up correctly. When I first got them, I had the setup screwed up. A little tweeking, adjusting the sub integration and upgrading electronics has turned a good sounding speaker into a great one, IMHO. I wish some of the early listeners would stop back again for a follow up listening session.

Anyway, just my $.02 worth. You really should listen to a properly designed array that is set up correctly. Take a detour through Iowa on one of those business trips to Minneapolis and youā€™re more than welcome to listen to mine.

Best regards,

Jim

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                Now, Line source speakers, properly implemented, may have some very desirable characterstics, particularly operating in quasi-nearfield over a wide range in a typical room, with SPL fall off that doesn't follow the normal square law with distance, but at half that rate. Problem is, maintaining that behavior over a wide frequency range, especially if you have tall ceilings and can't count on ceiling images to extend the LF response. In many cases, you can only tune the line array for smooth frequency respponse at one effective listening distance- at father distances, mids and trebel will predominate; closer, they'll be heavy in the lower midrange and bass.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by thylantyr
                  Do you remember that ancient Focal T120 fiberglass dome?
                  Then they obsoleted it in favor of Kelvar? Well, have those ancient tweeters and there is an uncanny good sound from
                  that fiberglass tweeter, even today I was checking it out again. Without any exotic filtering, sounds awesome and
                  beats the kelvar hands down without exotic filtering when I
                  did auditions with it. Everyone picked the fiberglass.

Point is, you mentioned a good tweeter from Focal and it's
                  not available, deja-vu... What is the story with Focal,
                  are they selling technology not sound quality :rofl:
                  The Kevlar version was something of a step back; more diaphragm resonance, and not nearly as good sound. The Tioxid version is pretty nice, becuase the oxide of titanium is stiff but dead, and seems to damp the inverted dome compared with a pure metal dome.

Problem is, Focal has withdrawn from supplying drivers to DIY market, so it's only "New Old Stock" around now.

~Jon
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    Hi Jon,

Your comments regarding line arrays with the typical implementation of a lot of very inexpensive drivers with cheap dome tweeters is right on but a properly designed array following Jim Griffins white paper doesnā€™t suffer from any of the issues youā€™ve indicated. Rick Craig worked with Jim on the original Linus design and itā€™s grown to super high end designs from there.

Iā€™ve had many speakers over the years including ones that were considered high end by the audio community and my Omegarrays absolutely blow them away. I also wouldnā€™t trade them for any of the di-pole, electrostatic or high end 3-way designs Iā€™ve listened to either. Several of those designs are considered to be some of the best currently available.

Some of the benefits of a properly designed array include ultra low distortion, effortless dynamics and incredible detail. Yes, they can get very, very loud effortlessly but the real beauty is when you listen at normal volumes. Nearfield listening draws you into the music and makes you a part of the live performance better than any point source that Iā€™ve ever heard. Yes, I can set at different distances if I choose and still have the same effect. They werenā€™t ā€œtunedā€ for my listening position or my room.

Like all speakers, they benefit from getting them set up correctly. When I first got them, I had the setup screwed up. A little tweeking, adjusting the sub integration and upgrading electronics has turned a good sounding speaker into a great one, IMHO. I wish some of the early listeners would stop back again for a follow up listening session.

Anyway, just my $.02 worth. You really should listen to a properly designed array that is set up correctly. Take a detour through Iowa on one of those business trips to Minneapolis and youā€™re more than welcome to listen to mine.

Best regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Well, if I'm ever travelling near Iowa, I'll try to take a stab at that. I have heard Linus arrays, and "extended" Linus arrays (more drivers), and they had variable frequency response with distance, integrataion issues between the midwoofer and planar tweeter, and of course, the sonic signature of that tweeter. They would play moderately loud, but at 15 -18 feet from the speakers had a "shouty" quality due to predominance in the midrange. This was in a room with 11 foot ceilings- like my own listening room.

Glad you've found what sounds like nirvanna to you!

Regards,

Jon
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Jon,

That is an open invitation and you are very welcome.

The state of the line array development has evolved a great deal since the Linus arrays. Subsequent designs with much, much better drivers and crossover refinement have been a huge step forward.

My listening room is 15'x20' with 9' ceilings. I sit 15' back but the sound varies little from about 8' - 15' away from the arrays. The omegarrays are (10) AC130 MKII 5" drivers and 8 Fountek JP2 ribbons per cabinet with a 12" AV12 in the base of each cabinet.

I've had a number of listeners from all over the country come to listen to them. Since I made the upgrades and refined the setup the comments have been that they are extremly smooth with an almost "tuby" sound to them. Anyway, I'm getting off track but I wanted to clarify that not all arrays have the issues mentioned.

Best regards,

Jim

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                      Hello Jim,

Well, if I'm ever travelling near Iowa, I'll try to take a stab at that. I have heard Linus arrays, and "extended" Linus arrays (more drivers), and they had variable frequency response with distance, integrataion issues between the midwoofer and planar tweeter, and of course, the sonic signature of that tweeter. They would play moderately loud, but at 15 -18 feet from the speakers had a "shouty" quality due to predominance in the midrange. This was in a room with 11 foot ceilings- like my own listening room.

Glad you've found what sounds like nirvanna to you!

Regards,

Jon

Comment

• Scott Simonian
                        • Nov 2004

Is this one any good?

My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• JonMarsh
                          Mad Max Moderator
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Scott Simonian

Looks like a lot of smoothing in those plots. Fs is a bit higher than I like...

Compare it to the 27TDFC and H1212- how do you think the flatness compares?

More important, I haven't seen any distortion plots on these. It's speculation to make any comment... you might do what I've done with many other tweeters, and buy a set, and meausre them...

The sensitivity is quite high, but that may indicate a short voice coil, which would imply limited Xmax, and limited outut at lower frequencies. Only way to know is to measure.
                          the AudioWorx
                          Natalie P
                          M8ta
                          Modula Neo DCC
                          Modula MT XE
                          Modula Xtreme
                          Isiris
                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                          Minerva Monitor
                          Calliope
                          Ardent D

In Development...
                          Obi-Wan
                          Modula PWB
                          Calliope CC Supreme
                          Natalie P Ultra
                          Natalie P Supreme
                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                            Jon,

That is an open invitation and you are very welcome.

The state of the line array development has evolved a great deal since the Linus arrays. Subsequent designs with much, much better drivers and crossover refinement have been a huge step forward.

My listening room is 15'x20' with 9' ceilings. I sit 15' back but the sound varies little from about 8' - 15' away from the arrays. The omegarrays are (10) AC130 MKII 5" drivers and 8 Fountek JP2 ribbons per cabinet with a 12" AV12 in the base of each cabinet.

I've had a number of listeners from all over the country come to listen to them. Since I made the upgrades and refined the setup the comments have been that they are extremly smooth with an almost "tuby" sound to them. Anyway, I'm getting off track but I wanted to clarify that not all arrays have the issues mentioned.

Best regards,

Jim

That sounds a little like what I've got brewing in my Saint Saens project, (8 JP2 per side, RD50's, Extremis 6 or Peerless drivers (under test), and planning stacked dipole subs with the RS12 subwoofers.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• thylantyr
                              • Nov 2004

Not that anyone cares

... but my NSB/PT2 does wonders because ...

A. Ported the midranges
                              B. Fully active
                              C. Adcom 200w/ch on PT2, QSC 2400w on the NSB
                              D. Behringer DCX2496

For $250 shipped, no tax, the DCX is great! Beats the pants off analog crossovers because you can do so much
                              tweaking and I've tweaked the NSB array to sound much
                              better than using stock passive crossovers like many people use in their cheap arrays.

The PT2's actually sound great with LR48 @ 1.5khz, but
                              I'm using 1.75khz, it really improves the stereo image
                              vs. using ~2.5khz and the LR48 gets rid of the less desirable sound from the PT2 you hear with the lesser
                              slopes and lower crossover point.

The NSB's with 6 coats of lacquer sounds best LR24 @
                              2.25khz, any higher and you can start to hear the 'crud'
                              but it really doesn't bother anyone except the golden ears.
                              :twisted:

I find that bad recordings are really amplified with a line array, I seem to tweak the line array for every CD I play,
                              mostly I adjust the midrange level up or down slightly,
                              for low volume I boost treble, cut some midrange and midbass. The ported midranges can really give you some boom.

For some metal music I zero out the settting and crank high SPL and make people angry :twisted:

I need a subwoofer to better judge the system as whole
                              and I need to get unlazy and get the cheap speaker
                              measuring setup running to see how the in room behavior
                              is.

The cheap array is no without fault, I can hear things that
                              I want better but others who audition who are less critical
                              or are not into audio the same way I am, are completely
                              satisfied and blown away.

You have to remember, these are 4" speakers with
                              a 'nothing special' motor design. 49 cents. If you want
                              better do the Dayton array for $30 per driver.. /hehe

This is a fun project though, to take cheap azz speakers
                              {except PT2} and make something from what initially
                              appears to be nothing. If one has a bigger budget room
                              for improvement is definetely there.

Comment

• jdybnis
                                • Dec 2004

Thylantyr,

I've heard rumors floating around the net that you've been collecting parts for the mother of all line arrays :twisted: ...something about a tower of Lambda Apollo woofers and a some Stage Accompaniment ribbons. Can you confirm these allegations
                                -Josh

Comment

• Dennis H
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Aug 2002

Errrr.... no offense Thylantyr but get some measurement gear and get back to us about how wonderful your line arrays are. Yeah, I know you've said on other forums you're beyond all that stuff (golden ear) but really.... are we supposed to take any speakers seriously on THIS forum when they've never even been measured?

Comment

• Davey
                                    • Jan 2003

Dennis,

Measurements only confirm what we already know.

Davey.

Comment

• thylantyr
                                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by jdybnis
                                      Thylantyr,

I've heard rumors floating around the net that you've been collecting parts for the mother of all line arrays :twisted: ...something about a tower of Lambda Apollo woofers and a some Stage Accompaniment ribbons. Can you confirm these allegations
                                      I have;
                                      Ten Apollos
                                      Eight SA's

Still collecting parts.

I don't have;
                                      Big room
                                      money

I'm always re-evaluating what I want to do because of
                                      those issues. I want to combine art, SQ, and SPL, not
                                      easy.

:rofl:

The right thing to do is make a simple 3 way and use
                                      the extra speakers to build some good surrounds and center channel, that would be sweet actually. But I have
                                      this strange desire for mega SQL 2 channel audio.

This thread I started was to find a sane solution for
                                      HT surround/center, but if I had more cash I already
                                      know which tweeter I'd be using. :evil:

Comment

• thylantyr
                                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dennis H
                                        Errrr.... no offense Thylantyr but get some measurement gear and get back to us about how wonderful your line arrays are. Yeah, I know you've said on other forums you're beyond all that stuff (golden ear) but really.... are we supposed to take any speakers seriously on THIS forum when they've never even been measured?
                                        I plan to make some measurements to verify if my ears are
                                        going out of calibration :lol:

I can tweak this array by ear at low to normal SPL but it's
                                        harder to tweak it at high SPL by ear. These arrays in a
                                        small room is pretty crazy really.

I did a one tower full SPL test outside from about 100 feet
                                        away and I liked what I heard from the midrange and
                                        tweeters.

Look at the Linus array, six PT2 and MCM $15 midwoofers,
                                        when that array hit cyber I found no bad reviews. I'm
                                        using ten PT2's and sixteen NSB's ported, works fine
                                        and people who auditioned haven't complained.

The only person complaining is myself because that design
                                        won't satisfy my demons. If it did my audio quest would
                                        be over.

Keep in mind, this array is for a friend who has nothing
                                        for audio and has little money, it's as perfect project for
                                        him.

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"