X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark S.
    • May 2005

Loudspeaker design prerequisites??

I'm no stranger to building kits but REALLY want to learn to design my own systems. What would be the best path? I've read several people say that in order to fully use a program like LspCad you need a good understanding of acoustics, electronics and the physics behind it all. So, how do I get there from here? I have a good understanding of electron theory and basic electronics but that is where it ends Am I going to have to go back to school to learn this stuff (I will if that's what it takes) or can I do it on my own by reading the right books? If so, what books to you recommend? Understand I'm DETERMINED to learn all I can so please hit me with your best advise.

Mark
  • purplepeople
    • Aug 2004

Start with Dickason's Cookbook. Read the Thiele/Small papers. Study King's Transmission Line Theories. Some light reading for the beach.

ensen.
    Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

I'm still very much a student rather than a teacher, but my 2 cents is as follows:

I don't think you need to go back to school, particularly if you have a technical background. Read, read and read some more. There is a wealth of information available on the internet.

I've at least skimmed through most of the popular speaker design and acoustics books and would recommend the two I ended up buying "Testing Loudspeakers" by D'Appolito and "Speaker Building 201" by Alden. Be warned that both books are relatively complex and technical.

Have fun,

Paul

Comment

• Mark S.
        • May 2005

Just wanted to thank Purplepeople and Paul H. for their advise. :T I have the three books you guys recommended on order.
        I Found the T/S papers on the web and have already read through them. I will need to brush up on my math to fully comprehend it all but I did learn a heck of alot. I also found a great site on the mechanics and build of dynamic drivers that helped me to better understand T/S params. My eyes and tiny brain hurt from all the reading the past few days. :tired: But its has been fun. Someday it will all fall into place...someday....at least that's what I keep telling myself.
        If anyone else has any more advise I would love to hear it.
        Back to the math books...(yes, I really am determined.)
        :later:
        Mark S.

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Once you start diving into the AES papers, like Thiele's stuff, it's probably cheaper to buy the 4 loudspeaker anthologies. Enough math to cause serious vertigo for a few months but there are some real 'historical gems' in there.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

I fully agree with Dennis, those are worthwhile for many reasons, including the historical perspective- I've had the first two since they were published... a long, long time ago! (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, daddy? No, not quite that long ago...)

~Jon
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"