X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

Comments on side-firing woofer designs?

The cosmetics look appealing, but I'm certainly not sure if it''s a good idea to cross to the the side firing woofer/PR combo at such a high freq.

If it does look like it would work, then would a CS-10/PR combo be a better choice for the bass drivers, or is the CS-10 a better subwoofer driver than a bass driver?

any oppinions?
    Last edited by ThomasW; 24 May 2005, 16:56 Tuesday. Reason: Keep the title appropriate for this DIY forum
  • David R.
    • Apr 2003

I have been thinking about doing something like that but with some Focal 11k7511's i have. But maybe forward facing.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I retitled the thread so as to keep with our policy of not discussing commercial offerings.

Ben,

The usual practice for side firing designs is to XO at 100Hz or lower. That avoids 'smearing' of the upper midbass.

The choice of a pure 'sub' driver is problematic because generally speaking they do not do a good job reproducing higher frequencies. XO points of 75Hz-80Hz are a good idea with higher excursion drivers given the Le of the VC

This is why Jon and I recommend using 7"or 8" drivers in the TM or MTM section. They go low and move enough air so there's an easy match to a sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

no problem on changing the title - prolly a good idea.

and as far as the woofer on the side, I can see what you mean - it confirms what I believed. I wouldn't want to put a bunch of effort into a mediocre design, but I like this idea of a tall skinny monitor with ample bass output - however a MTM with a pair of decent 7"ers should do so anyways.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Our 'famous' M8a MTM design is 12" wide. Obviously that's wider than designs using 5 1/4" drivers. Our MTM could be thinner but that's not an optimal situation.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

For moderate output levels, especially with a sub, an MTM of 40-50 liters with the Modula configuration could be done at 9" wide. As a standalone, it would have solid bass down to the 30's.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• david teltschik
              • Dec 2004

A previous DIY design that sounds damn good.

Hi all. I just wanted to let you know that my room mate and I have been building speakers for about 5 years now and I wanted to let you know about a pair of slim full range(ish) speakers that sound really nice. As a comparison they sound 99% as good as my new speakers that use SS9700 tweeters, Audiotechnology 7" midranges, and SS 10" woofers. I have the crossover design as well as any other details if anyone wants them.....just email me at david.teltschik@jsc.nasa.gov and I'll see about getting that information to ya.

The speakers use Vifa tweeters, a pair of Vifa 5 1/2" mids I think and a 10" Vifa woofer vented in a side firing allignment. It's really sleak with facial dimensions of 8.75" wide by 49" tall. We are bass freaks and you can only tell what's making the mass (mains or subs) during movie passages with sub 25Hz information. During music my friend and I are constantly asking each other......which one made that note.....lol.

I'm sure the design you have a link to will have more bass output, but I thought I'd suggest this excellent performer because you can build a pair including crossovers/boxes/drivers for less than a grand. Sweet deal if you ask me.

David

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"