X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwk
    • Apr 2005

splinter tc-9's / other 15's for dipole

I'm still in the thought process / prototype eval stage, but I think I may be looking at a dipole woof setup where I really only have room for 1 driver. The typical 2x12 H-frame as seen here won't work. This suggests a single long-ish throw 15. Upper xover freq is still a bit up in the air, but it will certainly be 100 or below, so unusual extension isn't needed. Application is music-only in a small room, so a single 15 'should be' adequate (he said optimistically)

The Avalance 15 will probably be gone before I get through the eval/decision process (if they aren't already). The next 'reasonable' price 15 that looks good is the TC-9 (Rl-p) from soundsplinter. With all the TC fans here, does anyone have any direct experience with these in general, and dipole specifically?

The 'cheapie' idea would be to use a couple of the Dayton IB 15's as stopgap drivers, but it's not clear to me how well these work in dipole situations - ie spider venting etc. The Titanic looks good in this regard, but as the TC-9s are only a bit more expensive the Titanic doesn't look that attractive.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The TC9 is unknown to us. We've only played with the 12" TC2+.

The PE IB15"s aren't a very impressive driver compared to the other offerings you're talking about.

The AE-IB15" is a nice driver. If you buy 4 they're $100ea. IB sub builders bought dozens of these and everyone is quite happy with the performance. JohnJ basically custom builds these to order. I bet he could/would add a phase plug if you wanted one.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
      The TC9 is unknown to us. We've only played with the 12" TC2+.
      That's what I was afraid of, given the scarcity of hits when I searched. If I go this route, I'm in Denver so I can play show and tell....

The PE IB15"s aren't a very impressive driver compared to the other offerings you're talking about.
      Yeah, but they're cheap :-)

The AE-IB15" is a nice driver. If you buy 4 they're $100ea.
      If I could figure out a way to use 4, then this would be a no-brainer. Needing only two makes it tough, though. It's either pay $200 ea, or get 4 and sell 2. I'm slightly concerned as to whether the 15mm would be enough - I'm hoping to have a better idea when I get the 2nd side of my prototype running with my NHT 1259's - with only one side running, I bottomed the NHT pretty easily.

Thanks for the info. No easy decisions, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"