X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Optimal crossover point selection (?s)

Hello, I searched through the forums looking at how different designs were created by considering a proper X-over frequency and selected based on the limitations of each driver. If it is known that the RS28A can play down to 1100HZ with a cauer filter (8th order), so when does it make sense to cross it over higher- especially if it might generally be said that the tweeter has better sound characteristics than most cone midranges/woofers at 1000-1200 HZ? I'm planning on using the 1100 Hz RS28a crossover that Jon developed in conjunction with an eton 7-372 that TacoD simulated for a match to the RS28a. Should I cross over higher and why or why not?
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

A reason to cross higher would be power handling. Even with very high order crossovers a mid or woofer will generally handle more power at 1100 Hz than a tweeter.

Reasons to use relatively low crossover frequencies, as in many of Jon's designs, are excellent dispersion characteristics - at 1100-1200 Hz most mids and woofers are operating 1/2 to 1 octave below the frequencies at which they become very directional. The other major reason to use a lower crossover is to avoid cone breakup modes which will occur at higher frequencies from the mids.

Some would postulate that higher order crossovers required to cross the tweeter very low result in 'ringing' - I've built one of Jon's designs and used the speakers for a year - if there's 'ringing' there I can't hear it

The speakers I'm working on are planned for 2000 Hz crossover from a Seas W18. This particular speaker plays clean at higher frequencies than many mids, or else I'd go lower.

Paul

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"