X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJINFLA
    • Mar 2005

Dynaudio drivers

I've read over and over that Dynaudio is no longer available for DIY, but this is not entirely true. Whereas they no longer make DIY home drivers, their car drivers ARE readily available. For those passive/box speaker DIYers this may not mean much. But for active (where 4ohm should be no problem) and Open Baffle (where higher Qts may be or IS desirable) their woofers may be a viable alternative. I just bought a pair of MW 180's that I've asked Mark K if he would be interested in testing. My intent is to use them in the main panel of my Orion Mutants. We'll see how they stack up against the W22's. I then intend to use them to create my own coaxial driver. We'll see if they survive the surgery :roll: . I'm god awful at creating a step by step record of any projects, but I'll do my best with this one . The pace will be SLOWWWW -of course.

Cheers

AJ
    Manufacturer
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

That will be very interesting to see- especially MarkK's test results.

2" VC and 4.5 mm Xmax is not so similar to the past home speakers. It will be interesting to see how your coaxial conversion works- you're a brave soul!
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Mark K
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by AJINFLA
      I just bought a pair of MW 180's that I've asked Mark K if he would be interested in testing.
      AJ
      I didn't get an email from you. Or, if I did it got filtered out...or, I'm really senile now and don't remember reading it...

Anyway...I'll look at them if you want. I'm curious to see if they measure up to some of the hype that goes with them.
      www.audioheuristics.org

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

2" VC!!

Jon are you trying to give me a heart attack! The Dynaudio has a 4" VC (yes you just made me go back and check for my sanity). If I can remove the cap without destroying the driver I should have room to mount my Waveguide/tweeter/phaseplug assembly. A 2" VC would have meant instant resale :E . Mark I sent you an email to your uclamax@hotmail. Is there another I should try? Yes I want to measure before Dr AJ begins surgery :g> .

Cheers,

AJ

ps, yep the Xmax is on the low side, but Sd is higher. So it Qts. We'll see .
        Manufacturer

Comment

• wls
          • Mar 2005

I am using a 17w75

I am listening to a circa 1989 Dynaudio 17w75 (3" v.c.) in an open baffle with a Dynaudio D-28 tweeter and a sealed Dayton RS225 on the bottom. They are mounted on a 12 1/2" wide baffle with 2 1/2" wings, 44" tall. Have not done in x-over work yet, just put a simple 2nd order on the RS225 at 300Hz. I know it is nowhere near as exciting compared to what Jon and ThomasW have been doing but I really do like the sound with music and movies in my small, dedicated listening room. I have pair of RS180s and just ordered a pair of RS28s to try out. Bonus is, my wife really likes the "mules". Bare MDF and wires hanging out! She did not care for the stand mount boxes the dynaudios were in before. I will have to drag out the camera and snap a few pics tomorrow. Maybe the wise ones will be able to give me some guidance when I change the dynaudio drivers out. Anyway, long winded way to say ... go for it... you might just like it.
          - Bill

Comment

• wls
            • Mar 2005

remove the cap?

I don't know about the Dyn autosound drivers, but the home drivers are 1 piece poly cones that are filled with a proprietary mica solution during the forming process. I think Skanning still does it pretty much the same way as when he founded Dynaudio. For what it's worth...
            -Bill

Comment

• AJINFLA
              • Mar 2005

Yes

The auto drivers are the same. I wish they weren't 1 pc. But mica/poly will also respond to heat :T . Laser surgery anyone? I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. :W

Cheers,

AJ
              Manufacturer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"