JMJ's speaker construction/random help thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jam_Master_J
    • Mar 2005

JMJ's speaker construction/random help thread.

Hey everyone,
    As some of you probably know, I'm going to build some ported MTMs based on the M8a and RS28. I've started this thread so I could contain all my questions into one big thread.

So, first off: I'm building the cabinets first. I'm thinking that routing all the speakers edges down to a 45 degree angle will give me a look I want. I'm getting the MDF most likely next weekend so I can get started. I'm going with double MDF for all panels. So my first question is:
    Would I be better off building the inner-layer of the speaker first, or just glue my panels first and working with them in double-thick form?

As well, regarding bracing: Are there any particular things I should keep in mind when designing braces for the cabinets?

Thanks,
    JMJ
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I build the outer layer first then glue in the inner layer. My mistakes are less obvious that way and it's not necessary to deal with the weight of 1.5" panels.

There are multiple examples of bracing on various threads in the forum. The general idea is to keep the wall vibration to a minimum and not obstruct air flow around the drivers.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jam_Master_J
      • Mar 2005

Thanks. As well ,is there any benefit to go with bi-wire compatible binding posts for this project?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm no big fan of bi-wiring, but I use dual posts in all my projects. That allows for easy testing/troubleshooting and active biamping if one wants

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jam_Master_J
          • Mar 2005

Sounds good, the doubles are only a little more expensive anyway. I'll go with them to keep my options open.

Comment

• Paul H
            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jam_Master_J
            Sounds good, the doubles are only a little more expensive anyway. I'll go with them to keep my options open.

Just a personal taste thing, but I prefer and use the individual through-bolt binding posts to avoid the plastic-mounted contraptions - just looks cleaner to me - food for thought.

Paul

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

I agree with Paul. And my next speakers will have 3 sets of binding posts.

Comment

• JoshK
                • Mar 2005

I am a fan of Speakon's myself. 4-pole for biwiring/biamping.

Comment

• Jam_Master_J
                  • Mar 2005

So if I go with doubles posts I just wire the woofer section to one set(top or bottom) and the tweeter section to the other set. And if I don't bi-wire/amp I just have to leave the piece in place that connects the two sets?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"