X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneoldude
    • Apr 2005

Super High Efficiency Tweeter

Help!

I am looking for a decent real high efficiency tweeter that I can cross at less than 2 KHz. It wil probably never see more than 10 Watts and I will cross it with at least an LKR 24 dB/Oct. acoustical slope.

I am hoping for at least 95 dB SPL/1 Watt or more and low to medium price. This is for an experiment for a friend that bought an SET and has no speakers for it.

I have been looking at the Eminence Alpha series (8". 10", 12") for the MW. Anyone have experience with those drivers? Distortion measurements? Sound?

Suggestions?

Help?
    oneoldude :later:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying
  • sonicbeauty
    • May 2005

eminence comes under proaudio sound and dont use pro audio in home audio applications... these are loudspeakers for theaters large halls etc... just dont do that....

Go for vifa tweeters two in numbers so that efficiency will increase.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The closest I can come up with at the moment is the Fountek NeoCD2.0 - an absolutely excellent tweeter. But perhaps not quite meeting your price-point? Then again, I'm not sure you'll be able to do better for less. The NeoCD3.0 might do just fine fourth-order but I dunno... Might be pushing it. Then again, might not.

Originally posted by sonicbeauty
      eminence comes under proaudio sound and dont use pro audio in home audio applications... these are loudspeakers for theaters large halls etc... just dont do that....
      What?! uh, Eminence is fine for home use. They make good stuff.

Go for vifa tweeters two in numbers so that efficiency will increase.
      'cause, there aren't any other companies that make better tweeters than Vifa, eh? I can only think of a pile off the top of my head. Plus, two? Hellooooo comb filtering. I wouldn't do that.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

Why don't more projects use horns? They are very efficient, are they not? Seems that is searching the years of DIY projects here, very little comes up when searching. Are they just to difficult to cross, or is the sound not what most are looking for? I know I like the Klipsch sound, and would like to see some projects like that if possible.

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

Focal TLR, 95/db effecient, top notch SQ, but you won't cross them lower than 2khz, also a bit pricey.
          Focal 120, 93db effecient, can cross it perhaps a little lower than 2khz
          I'm sure there are handfuls of others as well.

There are some ribbons out there as well, but you'll run into the 2khz problem with most of them, although if you're only running them on low-power tubes that may let you get away with running them a little more towards the edge.

Andrew

Comment

• DIY_newbie
            • Apr 2005

I second the fountek recommendation.. The NEOCD2.0 looks nice, I have the older JP2.0 series....

Besides there is nothing like the sound of a ribbon tweeter, hear it once and you'll never go back... Might want to couple it with an open baffle mid for the ultimate in transparent sound... Then you'll end up with the same problem I have , not being able to find a woofer that can keep up with your mid/tweet combo..

--Chris

Comment

• thylantyr
              • Nov 2004

I never used this dome tweeter.

96dB
              Free air 1khz
              6 ohm nominal

$60/pair

Comment

• oneoldude
                • Apr 2005

Thanks for the suggestions.

I decided to buy some cheap pyle horns and some cheap full range speakers. I haven't tried cheap stuff for years. It will be fun to see if cheap stuff is any better than it was years ago. I will measure them and listen to them. I expect I will frisbee the lot and then do as I usually do and buy good stuff. It's an interesting hobby.
                oneoldude :later:
                "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet" - Damon Runyon
                "De Gustibus Non Disputandum Est" (There is no disputing taste) - Ancient Roman Saying

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"