X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Blow out pricing on Ascendant Audio woofers

Ascendant is going to stop using the XBL2 technology. They're blowing out the current inventory.

Atlas 12 - $145 $100

Atlas 15 - $160 $105

Avalanche 12 - $280 $200

Avalanche 15 - $299 $225

Avalanche 18 - $399 $275

The explanation for the situation is in the link below

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

damn.

Those are some incredible prices. And I can't take advantage of them. Well, probably could swing a couple, but I'm not sure they would do what I need/want.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jeez, a dual 18" XBL2 sub with the drivers only costing $550? Wow!

Somebody, PLEASE pull the trigger on this one. I have some vicarious living to do.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dotay
        • Oct 2004

I am interested in the 15" Avalanche for use in a relatively small sealed enclosure but I eventually want to go IB once I buy a house that can accomodate it. Can one driver be used in an IB setup or should I just bite the bullet now and get two 15's?

Comment

• JoshK
          • Mar 2005

You guys are costing me a lot of money these days.

First the RS28a tweeter, then the Dayton RS180s now an Avalanche 15". I am going to save myself into the poor house.

Comment

• maximumshow
            • Nov 2004

Oh man! What an insane deal! Should I? Could I?

I have no immediate use for 2 x 18" avalanches but that is a great deal!

Comment

• dwk
              • Apr 2005

Awww, man. Too soon!
              I'm still trying to figure out whether either of my two experimental woofer setups will work - dipole or pseudo -IB. I was planning on holding off on driver choice until then, but at these prices......

Comment

• DIY_newbie
                • Apr 2005

RE: DWKs comments.. I was going to get 2 TC2+ woofers.. but at these prices... are any of them suitable for dipole operation upto around 250hz?

Thanks in advance guys!

--Chris

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

For operation up to 250Hz, go with the TC-Sounds TC2+

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dwk
                    • Apr 2005

From what I gather, I'd agree. When the Ascendants first came out I asked whether they were suitable as woofers rather than subs, and the answer was basically 'not recommended'.
                    Another point is that one person on the PE board said that his Atlas was too loud in terms of chuffing etc for dipole use. The Avalanche should be OK, provided you don't ask it to go too high.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2001

Hell, I may even spring for a couple of the Avalanche 15's. Who says you need a job to spend money?!

Comment

• awm
                        • Feb 2004

Has anyone been able to get through to them??? Been trying all morning and when it's not busy, there's no answer... Brother. Yes, I'm sure they've been flooded, but it's a bit frustrating.

Andy

Comment

• capslock
                          • Dec 2004

Any idea what they are hinting at that might give them as flat a Bxl curve as XBL^2?

Comment

• awm
                            • Feb 2004

WEll, I should do that more often...

meaning complain about how I can't get through, 'cause the next call made it! Got two Avalanche 15's!

They should ship in June and are definitely going fast. The guy I spoke with anticipated that the supply would last another day or so, so if you are thinking about it, now's the time.

Andy

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                              • Jan 2004

I feel sick, could have saved $500 if I would have just waited afew weeks for my 4 AV18's.
                              My Center Channel Project

Comment

• cjd
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Kingdaddy
                                I feel sick, could have saved $500 if I would have just waited afew weeks for my 4 AV18's.
                                well, go buy another dozen!

You'll get close to balancing out. :B

C
                                diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• Al Garay
                                  • Jan 2004

I have two sub enclosures, about 2.5 cubic foot internal volume, that I had been using as stands and had 12" SCC300 drivers. Now, I'm wondering if I should get two of the Avalance 12s or start over with 1 Avalance 15 in the corner. I'm only going to use the subs for home theater, probably cross below 30Hz. My mains will be the Adire LCRs which will go down to low 20s and have more than enough bass for music.

Anyone seen the recommended volume size for Avalance 12, sealed enclosure with Q of .707?

Tough choices: the Adire Sadhara finished with a nice cabinet wrapped in black vinyl (matches my black lather) for $595 is darn tempting as well. No cabinet work to do, just add an amp. Good selections to choose.

Al

Comment

• Jman
                                    • Apr 2005

I wonder what the new pricing will be like since they don't have to pay XBL2 royalties?

Comment

• Al Garay
                                      • Jan 2004

Ok. I'll speculate with you... They may have to incur tooling and design costs to convert to the new technology. And their other operational costs to run the business are fixed. So, hard to expect much of a decrease except for the initial release where it's good marketing to have a pre-release sale.

They want to distinguish themselves from the competition so they're not likely to set the standard price much more than it has been. End of speculation.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"