• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

Questions for ThomasW about your DIY room treatments

Hi Thomas,

I think this is going to be my next project. I went through your page, and looked at all the pictures in the links. I think I should be able to build these without killing myself Questions:

* In your room, do you have these spaced off the walls like some people seem to recommend, or are they mounted on the walls?

* I have dipoles in a small room. I'm thinking that my first priority should be to prevent the back wave from reflecting off the walls, followed by reducing standing waves for bass modes, and then get the first reflection points. Does that make sense, or is that backwards?

* Assuming I have that right, I would want to start with 2 panels per side, on the front and side wall, behind and to the sides of my speakers. Your speakers are huge, and you've made really tall panels. How much taller than the speakers do they need to be?

* For room modes and bass, is it effective to put these panels on room edges (wall-wall or wall-floor) and build triangular panels for the corners? Or will I need to build cylinders/quarter cylinders to have any effects on bass? Also, these panels will end up being 2"-3" thick, depending on the wood chosen. How effective will that be at taming a 35Hz room mode?

Thanks,
    Saurav
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi,

My flat panels are mounted directly to the walls. They're 7' tall centered with 6" of space top and bottom. These are at the rear of the listening area because there is a 1/2 wall that forms a corner. The 1/2 wall is completely lined with these panels. The 2 tall panels are placed where the side walls meet the 1/2 wall

In the corners behind the mains are 24" radius 1/4 cylinders that are 2" shorter than the ceiling. These are bass traps. There was so much bounced midbass off the rear wall it was causing comb filtering effects with the mains. That's now gone.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Thanks. Did you try putting flat panels diagonally across a corner, from a side wall to a front/back wall? Does that make any difference to the bass?

Your speakers are dipole all the way down into the bass, right. My woofers are (for now) monopole. So that will load the room differently in the bass. But that gives me a very good idea for a starting point. Thanks.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The intent all along was to build 1/4 cylinders for the corners. The flat panels were added later to fix other issues with the room

The system is dipole down to 85Hz

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"