X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beau
    • Apr 2005

3 way Dayton confusion..

Hmmm.... With all the talk of dayton rs based setups on ths board Ive totally confused myself. Im half way through building an enclosure (originally meant for a 3 way Scan combo) and think maybe I should go for a RS setup. The enclosure is approx 75litres, 11 inches wide. Is this enough volume for a rs270, 180, tweet combo,or am I better off sticking with an MTM, 225 (or180) combo??
    Thanks Beau
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you have Excel on a PC, my first suggestion would be to use that and look at the tradeoffs for yourself, because you know what your preferences and goals are.

RS270's like relatively large boxes- so do RS225's, if ported, though sealed alignments could be much smaller. How are you going to use this system? That would have a big impact on your choices.

In your shoes, I'd even consider an MTM with the RS180, tuned for optimal extension - the RS225 would have an advantage in the bottom end, but the RS180's would be easier to work with for the tweeter crossover, with a more moderate crossover frequency (say, 1400 Hz instead of 1100 or so). The RS180 MTM's I have now are pretty nice; lots of midrange detail, good control in the bottom end; don't go as deep as they could because it's only a 1 cu ft enclosure. (28 liters). With a larger enclosure, I'd tune for ~ 28 Hz with a 3" diameter port. Will have a gradual taper anechoic, should sound pretty nice in room.

The other alternative might be a three way with RS225 as the bass RS125 or RS150 as the mid, RS28A as the tweeter? It's just that the crossover gets a lot more complex and "interesting" to design for a three way. If going that later route, I'd consider emulating/Kloning the Joseph Audio RMSi33. But then if it was my project, I'd be tempted to do something like a Wilson Sophia, with the RS180 on the "midrange" chores, and the RS270 for the woofer. Might need a bit bigger cabinet though, unless sealed with a cutoff a bit higher up is OK. Again, that's not a cheap crossover...

Lots of possible ways to go- I'm sure others will chime in with their ideas. Do you have measuring gear?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Beau
      • Apr 2005

No, hence my unsurity (is that a word?) How big an enclosure are we talking for an mtm rs 225? The 3 way does appeal to me, but without a proven design im in the dark...

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

There are designs floating around for 3-ways with both 270/180/28A (WWMTM) and 225/150/28A (WWMT) not to mention 225/28A (MTM) and others. They may shed a little light on things.

A pair of 225's in 75L heavily stuffed and a passive crossover (i.e. there is some series resistance to account for) will probably have an F3 around 50Hz. Q of .62 - stuff lighter and the Q goes up.

On the other hand, a single RS225 tuned to 22Hz has an official F3 of 28Hz but in-room will extend low quite nicely. It has a very nice bottom roll-off that Jon would like. You're power limited at this point though - probably good for peaks in the 95dB range max (at 1M) if there's no content below 20Hz. Below, you hit excursion issues really fast.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"