4 drivers with dual 2 ohm VC's wiring question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

4 drivers with dual 2 ohm VC's wiring question.

Just got my other 2 Avalanche 18’s (thanks Chad for expediting) to add to the other 2 that are already wired in a series dual channel configuration (4 ohm per channel).

What do you guys prefer for your Pro Amps, I've never ran my Mackie 1400i on a 2 ohm load. I was thinking I would have a better output to input ratio, I currently will clip my BFD output well before my Amp output, would a 2 ohm load allow more output? In addition, how are you guys wiring 4 drivers with dual 2 ohm VC's?

Forgot, Mono 2/4 ohm vs. Stereo 2/4 ohm, any preferences?
    My Center Channel Project
  • Brian Bunge
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2001

Wire the VC's of each driver in parallel for a 1 ohm load and then wire the individual drivers in series to achieve a 4 ohm load. Then just run your amp in bridged mode.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If the goal is lowest distortion/lowest noise, then running the amp in stereo is the best option.

He has a relatively small room and is using 4-18"s, so he has reasonably high efficiency. Also since his IB drivers are excursion limited not thermal limited, he doesn't want or need tons of power at the ready.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Kingdaddy
        • Jan 2004

I'm still confused on what I need to do, I dont want an 8 ohm load at the amp, my BFD outputs clip well before the amp outputs already (4 ohm). I need a diagram of a series parallel configuration that will give me either 4 ohm, either dual channel or single channel.

Anyone know where I can find such a diagram?

Comment

• PMazz
          • May 2001

Use the 4 speaker diagrams when wiring 2 DVC drivers. You'll either have a 2 or 8 ohm load for each channel.

Wiring Guide

Pete
          Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

If the BFD is clipping you need to turn down the subout level so your not over driving the Behringer. Also check which position the rear panel switches are in. Normally their run in the -10dBV postion.

With dual 2 ohm VC's there's no way to get a 4 ohm load and run the amp in stereo. The only way to get a 4 ohm load is with the amp strapped.

You wire the individual VC's in series that creates a 4 ohm/driver. Series the drivers in pairs = 2 -8 ohm loads. Now parallel the pairs of drivers. That creates a single 4 ohm load.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brian Bunge
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ThomasW
              You wire the individual VC's in series that creates a 4 ohm/driver. Series the drivers in pairs = 2 -8 ohm loads. Now parallel the pairs of drivers. That creates a single 4 ohm load.
              Thomas,

Same end result that I got, just from a different approach.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                • Jan 2004

Thanks guys, I went with the dual channel 2 ohm version, couldn’t get the 4 ohm mono to come out right, I kept getting 6.5 ohm. Anyway I'll do some testing and see how it looks.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

How were you getting 6.5 ohms? You must have wired something wrong.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brian Bunge
                    How were you getting 6.5 ohms? You must have wired something wrong.
                    I dont know, I had two different Fluke meters and they both read the same, I did as you suggested; parallel the VC's (1 ohm) then series the drivers (4 X 1ohm = 4 ohms). My meter was in series, one lead on the first drivers + terminal and the other lead on the last drivers - terminal.

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

an 8 ohm driver in paraqlell with two 8 ohm units wired in series could give that resistance - approximately...

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Since impedance is a curve that's frequency dependant, using VOM to measure them isn't really accurate.

BTW That particular wiring configuration can have a negative impact on the drivers damping.

It's better to series the individual VCs, then parallel the drivers together. That doesn't mess around with the Qms. And that's why I suggested it....

There's a big long winded technical explaination for this, but I doubt I can get Jon to chime in and type it due to his current work schedule

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                          Since impedance is a curve that's frequency dependant, using VOM to measure them isn't really accurate.

BTW That particular wiring configuration can have a negative impact on the drivers damping.

It's better to series the individual VCs, then parallel the drivers together. That doesn't mess around with the Qms. And that's why I suggested it....

There's a big long winded technical explaination for this, but I doubt I can get Jon to chime in and type it due to his current work schedule
                          Yes you did tell me this over at the Cult, it makes sense, but I was strapped for time so I went with what I know and with your recommendation of using dual channels to cut the distortion a bit, so series VC's and paralleled each pair of drivers for 2 ohm, works fine. The 50Hz dip gave me fits though, all I could do is move it to 84Hz then I ran out of EQ bands. I also found a Subwoofer switch on the back of my Mackie 1400i amp, switched it on and set the switch to 63Hz and re tested, very strange readings, they seem much moor linear now but an average of 6db’s higher, no measurable roll-off after 63 Hz either (probably my boost from the PEQ or room gain). Anyway I’m goanna try to re-set up the subs with the amp in this mode, seems to have much more head room with the internal crossover turned on.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"