X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gbegland
    • Apr 2005

Dayton reference subs?

Jon, any new info on these drivers? Possible ballpark pricing or release dates.
    I asked about the Ascendent audio Atlas subs last week and decided I need to look around more for some good dipole drivers. I can't afford the Avalanche series, so I was hoping these new Daytons would do the trick. I am thinking about 2 12's or 15's per side. I was leaning towards the IB-15's but I'm not sure that these drivers have very low distortion. They only use the Lamba LE series motor with no Faraday rings, right? They are such a deal though at 4/$400.

Thanks guys. Greg
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

There are a lot of factors to weight, including Xmax, VC inductance, cone behavior, etc, depending on what you want to acomplish, and how important price is. Finding a driver well balanced in all these factors isn't easy.

Unfortunately, I can't talk about these as much as I would like, re what I know, or expect will happen. Roadmaps can have detours or delays, in spite of the best of intentions. But I think Darren will deliver the goods sometime this summer. Weigh carefully what you're looking for before spending money.

Regarding the IB-15, within the limitations of the rated Xmax, they look like a very nice buy in the 4 piece price. Not compact, though.... How do you plan on using them? LE is rated fairly low; if the spec is correct, that's good, but there's no info on how high they'll go and where the cone issues will be. QTS is good for dipole or IB- hope the pole vent is good sized, since they went to a conventional dust cap. That can be a problem for dipoles, with chuffing.

I haven't heard or seen any data about nonlinear distortion or ETC behavior, and since my own designs will need 12's, I wouldn't ever pick up a set of these to test. Maybe someone else will?

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"