X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • accorddude
    • Apr 2005

DIY JM Lab?

Alright I have decided that im going to build my own speakers. I was org going to buy a center ch speaker but when I got one and had it set up I decided that I liked my two ch set up but the place would not give me my money back so I had to do store credit and I bought two JM Lab 8in W cones and two Toxid 5 tweeters and two KRK crossovers that have been modified but I cant remember how.

So I think Im going to use these new speakers as a set of mains in my living room and move my current JM Lab 906 speakers to my bed room and pull them out as surround sound speakers when watching movies in the living room. So my question is would these speakers sound alright working togeather? I know the cross over is different and I know that Im going to build a cabnet that is alot different than the one the 906 have.

Also tell me what you think of my idea I want to do a transmission line speaker is this a good idea or should I make bookshelf speakers out of them? When I had a friend create a design for a transmission line speaker for me he said that the responce would be 90db and have a responce ragne from 38-23k.

And since I am a noob at speaker building what do I need to be carefull about? What are some hints of the trade? Im planing to use 3/4in MDF for the materal is this a good choice? Also when I finish the speakers should I go with venneers to finish it or paint it or do what? I want to keep this project as cheap as i can the budget is 350 so after buying the drivers i have 100 bucks left to play with.
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This is almost like someone saying I have a motor and a transmission and four tires- how do I build a car?

Google is your friend. There's a lot of posts on these topics and more on this site and many others- your questions are too broad to require anything less than a book, and with many possible variations of it.

Have fun with your project.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• accorddude
      • Apr 2005

Ok here is what I have decided the speakers I am building will be a transmission line design. They will replace my current JM Lab 906 in the living room if they sound any better which I think is doubtfull but if they dont these new ones will be in my bed room.

Can you recomend any books? Am I right in choosing to work with MDF or is their a better materal? Just any help would be cool.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• accorddude
          • Apr 2005

Thanks for the link Thomas.

Comment

• GrahamT
            • Oct 2004

You should read the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. It's hardly a step by step, but you will learn what is involved and whether or not you can do it. Other authors to check out are Joe D'Appolito, David Weams, John Murphy.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"